Central Asia Planning

Talk about the forum & website, off-topic chatter, etc.
masonkrueger

Central Asia Planning

Post by masonkrueger »

Hello,

I have been travelling solo for 3 months now and are planning a trip to Central Asia.

My question is: How much planning do I need to do before I book my flights?

My problem is that I've been in South Korea now for over 5 weeks and are more than ready to leave. I could go to another country to give myself more time to plan, but I'll spend most my time out doing things rather than plan anyway. Otherwise, I'm staying here in Seoul spending money on food and accommodation when I could be in Kazakhstan.

I feel that I have done enough to give me a clear picture on what to expect, I just don't want to get stuck in a difficult situation that I otherwise wouldn't or miss anything worth seeing.

Thank you so much for all your help!

Mason AUS 21

PS: This is the link to everything I have planned so far
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fAN ... sp=sharing
0 x

Jealgu

Re: Central Asia Planning

Post by Jealgu »

Well, I am sorry to bring the news, but you are absolutely not ready. If that document shows all planning you did you are lucky to survive one day.

/*Sarcasm mode switched off/ you probably did more planning than 99 percent of all independent travellers, especially so far in advance for some of the countries you mention.

One quick note, you have a chance at obtaining a transit Visa if you go Iran or ferry to Baku, after Turkmenistan. So elsewhere on this website.
0 x

masonkrueger

Post by masonkrueger »

Thanks for the response.

The doc probably is a little confusing. I am no longer going to go to Turkmenistan as it is too expensive and don't get to see much.
As for Iran, I'm not sure if I will go as I might decide to go to India instead.

I understand that I haven't done all the much planning, but it's costing me a lot of money sitting here in Korea just to plan.

My real question is, is there anything that I NEED to plan/look into that I haven't already.

Thanks so much!
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Post by bwv812 »

Why are you doing this "planning"? You want to write your own guidebook? This is a terrible case of paralysis by analysis. If you can go to another country and see things (but not plan), then you can go to Central Asia and see things (but not plan).
0 x

Mikeromero

Post by Mikeromero »

Well! I think he is free to plan as much as possible if he wants to know everything in advance.
By the way, I would really suggest to plan the main topics (visa, air transport, some land transport in difficult places and money getting) and let the other things to come as long as you travel. This way you can match some control with some improvisation.

But, I am really surprised by the analysis. You have read and read that much and researched so much that after your first trip there you could begin thinking about organizing a travel agency to go there :)
0 x