The diplomat

Talk about the forum & website, off-topic chatter, etc.
Koen

The diplomat

Post by Koen »

Hi,
Was wondering of someone here got a subscription on The Diplomat (online newspaper).
www.diplomat.com

Just read a couple of articles (was free) maybe someone is a long-time reader and knowns is good and consistence.

greetings,

koen
0 x
Rollingdutchman @ instagram

Christian77
Tajikistan expert
Tajikistan expert

Re: The diplomat

Post by Christian77 »

Your url is incorrect, it's thediplomat.com, not diplomat.com

I can only speak to its Central Asia content, which is fine. It's accurate, and it has no agenda that distorts its coverage (except in the eyes of the friendly local presidential administrations). But it can vary, as some writers are guest writers who are writing on their area of expertise which may be 10 years of PhD and postdoc work, or the writers may be far below that (but writing basically accurate stuff) - and most other times somewhere in between.

I suppose a subscription would be worth it to get their full coverage on the Asia and Asia-Pacific region, if you are into that. But if you only want to read about Central Asia (in English), then consider that Eurasianet (https://eurasianet.org/) and RFE/RL (https://www.rferl.org/) are free access, and that google translate works OK for Russian (but less so for regional languages). That opens up access to some local media outlets in Central Asia.

It's not worth it to me to get a subscription, because I usually see the same stories elsewhere for free. But once in a while it has a really interesting analytical article that I want to read.
3 x

Koen

Re: The diplomat

Post by Koen »

Thanks, was known with eurasia and radiofreeeurope.
Will also not take subscription, also it's for whole year and I'm stilling hoping to start travelling within half year.
0 x
Rollingdutchman @ instagram