Long Term Travel While Taking Prescription Medication

Talk about the forum & website, off-topic chatter, etc.
Davro12345

Long Term Travel While Taking Prescription Medication

Post by Davro12345 »

I have a simple question. I want to take some time out to do some long term travelling over a few years. However, I currently take two sets of medication for anxiety: sertraline and propranolol. Is it possible to acquire medications like these while in a foreign country? If so how? What preparations would I need to make to ensure I can take my medication?
0 x

Hugues

Re: Long Term Travel While Taking Prescription Medication

Post by Hugues »

Can you ask your doctor to give you a prescription to order 6 months or 12 months supply ?
Then you can also buy medicine online, I use www.kiwidrug.com, they are not super fast but are reliable and genuine meds, you just upload a picture of your prescription and pay with credit card.
You can add more than 1 address in your online account.
This way if you can't buy them locally, you have a backup plan.
0 x

Roadtophnompenh

Post by Roadtophnompenh »

I just take for 6 months with me when leaving my country, and had no issues at all, nobody ever checked it until now, and i am in pakistan. Had the medicins all together in a plastic bag, good visible in my car, nobody interested, maybe in de stans its different !!
0 x

Rufio

Post by Rufio »

This might sound like a lie but trust me when I say I've been traveling for a long time over many countries in this region, crossed many borders and have never had my bag checked ever. Hell, I'll even walk through those body scanners, beepers go off every single time at train stations, border crossingsz airports, everywhere not a single soul has patted me down in response. Security doesn't exist it seems.

In fact I'll go as far as to say I think these countries are stupid beyond belief for being so negligent.

As for getting said medicines, I cannot comment, perhaps you can get a big supply as suggested above, but I'm not sure how a medical professional would allow that for lack of knowledge.
0 x

Kasia

Post by Kasia »

Rufio wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:07 am
This might sound like a lie but trust me when I say I've been traveling for a long time over many countries in this region, crossed many borders and have never had my bag checked ever. Hell, I'll even walk through those body scanners, beepers go off every single time at train stations, border crossingsz airports, everywhere not a single soul has patted me down in response. Security doesn't exist it seems.

In fact I'll go as far as to say I think these countries are stupid beyond belief for being so negligent.

After travelling criss-cross in Central Aasia for 5 months this summer, I can not confirm what you said about the border security check:
At half of the border crossings (all of them done as a foot passenger) I was questioned about the content of my backpack, at least 3 times I had to open it and show what was inside of some boxes that the scanner showed as suspicious.

But never ever my medication was questioned (I had a 6 months supply of blood pressure tablets) - they were more interested in my books.
At the border to Kazakhstan: "why to you need a guide book (about KAZ)?" (as in: what is so interesting about our country that you want to know more about)
0 x

Wadegot

Post by Wadegot »

I'm curious if you ever found a solution for this? I've travelled long term (not as long as you speak of) and ended up having to pay out of pocket for an extended supply, which was rather pricey since insurance won't cover more than a couple months at a time. I considered mail order but not sure how that would work if international shipping is involved.
0 x