Current and future situation of Russian influx

Talk about the forum & website, off-topic chatter, etc.
Orangetack

Current and future situation of Russian influx

Post by Orangetack »

Hello, I will be wanting to travel Central Asia next summer. That is a long while away and a lot can change. But I would appreciate some information from those who know, about how much Central Asia continues to be impacted by the russian influx. I have seen a post made a couple months ago about this, but I am wondering how things look now and how those in the know expect it to look going forward.

For starters, if the war continues on as it is, is there still a lot of pressure from Russians on budget hotels and hostels, making it hard to book last minute? Or have many of them moved on from Central Asia by now? If not, do they plan to, or is Central Asia more of a long-term destination for them?

And to what extent are countries actually swamped by them? Is it is just the major cities, or is it the more minor, off-the-tourist-trail ones as well?

If Russians are intending to stay longer, pressure on hotels should peter out as they find rental accommodation, right?

Thanks for any help :D
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Re: Current and future situation of Russian influx

Post by bwv812 »

They've pretty much all moved on or moved back.
0 x

IronChris

Post by IronChris »

"them"... You are talking about refugees trying to get away from war and military duty hampering "us" in having a great last minute low budget holiday in a world which is not ours?
0 x

willemspie

Post by willemspie »

Anyway you can check the availability and rate of rooms on booking sites like booking com.
0 x

OWNER

Post by OWNER »

Too early now to think about next summer. Return to this issue in the spring of 2023, the situation may become clearer. But things can change very quickly and very dramatically. I live in Kazakhstan, Alma-Ata. Three months ago I went by car to Russia. When leaving Kazakhstan, the oncoming line of cars was five kilometers away. On the way back, a week later, there was no one at the border. We do not see any inconvenience from visitors in our city.
The following video shows both of these borders.
https://youtu.be/7V-uCACV-YU
1 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Post by bwv812 »

IronChris wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:24 am
"them"... You are talking about refugees trying to get away from war and military duty hampering "us" in having a great last minute low budget holiday in a world which is not ours?
Have any of them claimed refugee status?

Did any (or many) of those now fleeing express any prior opposition to the war, or even care about it before mobilization?
1 x

Orangetack

Post by Orangetack »

Thanks for your helpful answers everyone. I realise summer is a long way away, just wanted to gauge what it's like so far, so thanks for that.
bwv812 wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:17 pm
IronChris wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:24 am
Have any of them claimed refugee status?

Did any (or many) of those now fleeing express any prior opposition to the war, or even care about it before mobilization?
And this point exactly. I have read plenty about many of those fleeing, and during my time in Georgia this year, I found out plenty from locals that those fleeing the war were not necessarily strongly against it. Given that some of my Ukrainian family have experienced this war firsthand, forgive me for not talking so politely about those who only left when it got tough for them. Bravo to the Russians who left before mobilisation and who actually cared about the war before it affected them directly.
1 x

Rufio

Post by Rufio »

There were issues during the first couple of weeks after Putin's mobilization speech back in late September, but there hasn't been any issues in terms of availability of not being able to find anything to book accommodation wise for months now, nor are there any day to day changes you will see anywhere that will affect your life in anyway whatsoever, maybe apartment prices are higher than normal if you plan to rent an apartment out for months on end, but that's it.
2 x