Backpacking with a Suitcase?

Talk about the forum & website, off-topic chatter, etc.
dnurick

Backpacking with a Suitcase?

Post by dnurick »

Wondering if people have thoughts/suggestions. I have a big trip planned to the area, and am leaving in around a week. I also have a chronic knee injury which unfortunately has just flared up. After much debate I'm still going to go on my trip, because as this is a chronic issue I never can plan around it, and I already have all my plans set and have taken time off of work--I may not have this opportunity again. I am feeling confident, except that I can't really carry a heavy backpack right now so will need to travel with a little rolling bag. Is this going to be possible? I would plan to leave it in different bases while I go out for a few days at a time with a small backpack (ex: leave it in Bishkek while I do a 3 day song kol trip, etc). I plan to travel around by public transit, and to do a lot of horse trekking. I have done many long term backpacking trips and always carried a backpack. I am used to traveling extremely lightly, but due to my injury my bag of specialized medications takes up a lot of space/are very heavy, and I am also planning on bringing a winter sleeping bag (for mongolia in the beginning of oct and being cold on pamir highway and elsewhere). I will be traveling in Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, and Mongolia.
0 x

RollingTreeHouse

Re: Backpacking with a Suitcase?

Post by RollingTreeHouse »

Shouldn't be much of a problem if you allow yourself to take more taxis than you would do otherwise.
You can also count on any public lift to be out of order the day you need it and you will have to slow down due to bad pavements more often than not.

On the upside, you will be able to find taxis and you'll also find locals going the same way with much more baggage than you have.
0 x

dnurick

Post by dnurick »

RollingTreeHouse wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 7:11 pm
Shouldn't be much of a problem if you allow yourself to take more taxis than you would do otherwise.
You can also count on any public lift to be out of order the day you need it and you will have to slow down due to bad pavements more often than not.

On the upside, you will be able to find taxis and you'll also find locals going the same way with much more baggage than you have.
Thank you, this makes me feel better! Yes, I'm prepared to spend more money on taxis than I usually would.
0 x

Alibobo

Post by Alibobo »

Whouaa amazing you are just having the opportunity to travel with no luggage at all..take the chance to try it

Bringing a suitcase and leaving it somewhere will just be a problem added to your own health problem.

You don t need a suitcase or backpack to trael. This idea was put into your head (not your choice)

Imagine a khirghiz sheeperd spending the day on his horse from 4am till 10pm..he only carries a botttle of Kumiss thats all you need... you have money,creditcard,cash he has not..you can use that to sleep,eat and buy anything including a new set of underwear...you need socks ? How about some handmade pamiris knicking socks with real sheep wool

Enjoy and don t forget to have fun and be nice around to people hosting yoy and feeding you
1 x

dnurick

Post by dnurick »

Alibobo wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 7:30 pm
Whouaa amazing you are just having the opportunity to travel with no luggage at all..take the chance to try it

Bringing a suitcase and leaving it somewhere will just be a problem added to your own health problem.

You don t need a suitcase or backpack to trael. This idea was put into your head (not your choice)

Imagine a khirghiz sheeperd spending the day on his horse from 4am till 10pm..he only carries a botttle of Kumiss thats all you need... you have money,creditcard,cash he has not..you can use that to sleep,eat and buy anything including a new set of underwear...you need socks ? How about some handmade pamiris knicking socks with real sheep wool

Enjoy and don t forget to have fun and be nice around to people hosting yoy and feeding you
Hahahaha I love this idea but not for me
0 x

sebhoff

Post by sebhoff »

I’ve done two trips to Central Asia with a 45l Samsonite suitcase with two wheels, and a smaller backpack for my laptop and stuff I need frequent direct access to. Obviously, this isn’t the gear to do hikes with, but I prefer it to lugging around a larger backpack for virtually all other travel types. The only time I missed having a backpack was when I crossed into Uzbekistan from Osh on foot. It was a very uneven and dusty affair…
I’d definitely go for something sturdy with two wheels - the 4-wheeled suitcases have a mind of their own and won’t stay put. 😉
Enjoy your trip!
Sebastian
0 x

dnurick

Post by dnurick »

sebhoff wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:45 pm
I’ve done two trips to Central Asia with a 45l Samsonite suitcase with two wheels, and a smaller backpack for my laptop and stuff I need frequent direct access to. Obviously, this isn’t the gear to do hikes with, but I prefer it to lugging around a larger backpack for virtually all other travel types. The only time I missed having a backpack was when I crossed into Uzbekistan from Osh on foot. It was a very uneven and dusty affair…
I’d definitely go for something sturdy with two wheels - the 4-wheeled suitcases have a mind of their own and won’t stay put. 😉
Enjoy your trip!
Sebastian
Thank you that is so so helpful! Glad to know others have done it :)
0 x