Buying a Carpet in Central Asia

Talk about the forum & website, off-topic chatter, etc.
mecla

Re: Buying a Carpet in Central Asia

Post by mecla »

Uncle_Iroh wrote:Thought I post on update on this. :D

I bought a couple of handwoven wool carpets in Turkmenistan. Both are 3 square meters; price range was 300-500 USD each. The seller already had the necessary documents prepared and agreed to send the carpets via Turkmenistan Post for 100 USD each.

I bought them in the gift store of the Grand Turkmen Hotel. The Carpet Museum was selling similar-sized carpets for more than 1,000 USD each. In Bukhara and Samarkand, 1 square meter sells for around 500 USD.
- - - - and even $1,000 is about a third of what you pay in the US or Canada. - - - -
I am going in September to Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan ... I guess from this discussion thread Uzbekistan is best for me ... have my eyes set on a blood-red Turkmen, but will get what jumps out at me best ... not the biggest fan of Shyrdak ... bought a few years ago two silk Persian (from Ohms) in the Damascus bazaar and you are right: they are members of my family!
1 x

ameet1983

Post by ameet1983 »

My wife and I bought 2 carpets from Akbar House Collection in Bukhara. He's an eccentric but sweet man once you get to know him, and his knowledge and collection are really lovely - carpets and suzannis. We got a good price which is more than half the amount we would have paid in the West. If he likes you he'll show you his house one minute walk away which is being restored as has the most amazing dining room from decades ago with the original jewish bukharian design - the best of all the restaurants and guesthouses we saw during our time there.
3 x

rhinomaxil

Post by rhinomaxil »

ameet1983 wrote:My wife and I bought 2 carpets from Akbar House Collection in Bukhara. He's an eccentric but sweet man once you get to know him, and his knowledge and collection are really lovely - carpets and suzannis. We got a good price which is more than half the amount we would have paid in the West. If he likes you he'll show you his house one minute walk away which is being restored as has the most amazing dining room from decades ago with the original jewish bukharian design - the best of all the restaurants and guesthouses we saw during our time there.
Very interesting. Would you mind sharing the specifics of your carpets (i.e. size, handmade, material, origin, price)? That would be very interesting and helpful as I’m considering as well buying a rug in Uzbekistan or Turkmenistan.

Thanks!
0 x