Using Euros in Central Asia

Talk about the forum & website, off-topic chatter, etc.
tcarlyle

Euros vs dollars in central asia

Post by tcarlyle »

Are euros accepted or changed in central asia (Kazahkstan, Kyrgistan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan) just like dollars?

I was wondering if bringing just euros should be enough or if I really should get some dollars as well.
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Re: Euros vs dollars in central asia

Post by bwv812 »

Dollars are more useful pretty much everywhere, and are dispensed at many ATMs in Bishkek, Osh, and Dushanbe (don't remember Kazakhstan, as I only needed to get Tenge). The only place where obtaining hard currency will be a problem is in Uzbekistan, but you will be able to change Euros on the black market there. Hotels and guesthouses in particular will accept dollars directly in Uzbekistan, but in other countries you generally have to pay in local currency.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Euros vs dollars in central asia

Post by steven »

Dollars are better in Uzbekistan, you get the same rate for euros on the black market even though they are worth more.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

edwardo123

Using Euros in Central Asia

Post by edwardo123 »

Hi All,

1) We are off to the region at start of sept to spend a few months exploring by car. I have learnt from exploring this site that cash is king, but does anyone have any insight as to whether Euros would be ok, or is it necessary to carry dollars? I am European so would prefer not to have to deal with American exchange rate. Any advice on whether British pounds are acceptable would be great as well!

2) I have read that hotels in Uzbekistan only take foreign currency as payment according to new rules, but would that be USD only or would EUR be ok?

3) Also - are there many places to withdraw foreign currency in the region, or is it necessary to take it all with me?

A Brit :lol:
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Using Euros in Central Asia

Post by steven »

Hi,

Take dollars for Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Iran and Tajikistan. Kyrgyzstan and Kazakhstan do not have issues with money exchange, you can either take Euros or simply take money out of the wall.

I think I explained about dollars vs euros at http://caravanistan.com/money and on the specific country pages.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Tiredanddehydrated

Re: Using Euros in Central Asia

Post by Tiredanddehydrated »

Using my Euros here in Iran no worries at all and the exchange rate is quite good. Keeping my US dollars for the other countries Steven mentions above.
0 x
The moto adventures of Shane Maloney http://tiredanddehydrated.com