Pepper spray & Bear spray in Central Asia: legal?

Talk about the forum & website, off-topic chatter, etc.
MartaiMarek

Pepper spray & Bear spray in Central Asia: legal?

Post by MartaiMarek »

Hi there,

I could not find any information regarding pepper gas - is it allowed to have it in KG?
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Is pepper gas legal

Post by steven »

I dont think anyone cares... I met a french woman who was carrying it recently to fend off dogs while cycling.
1 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

dessenior

Bear spray

Post by dessenior »

AKA pepper spray or self defence spray. For a motorcycling tour through the Stans and into Russia and Ukraine I was considering buying a small can of this, for defence against wild animals when camping out and also for personal security. However I don't want to get in trouble with the police. Wikipedia has a useful article on it but fails to mention its legality in this region. Can you help with advice?
0 x

sakara

Re: Bear spray

Post by sakara »

It s sold in Russia in hunting shops without registering or anything - so probably legal. It comes in rather big cans which is necessary if it should help against bears...
Mine was able to "shoot" for 20 seconds with a reach of about 8m - really impressive (I tried before leaving Russia as obviously it s not possible to take it on the ferry to Korea).
2 x

jfdesfosses

Re: Bear spray

Post by jfdesfosses »

Yes, although 8m when a bear is running towards you at 20 km/h....Well do the math...You better have nerves of steel and a pretty good eyesight. That being said, I camped and planted trees literally hundreds of times in black bears and grizzly territory, and never had any bad encounters, neither do the majority of people who carry out smart practices. Worked in the Arctic, where I cross country skied, fatbiked in polar bear territory. Thankfully never encountered one. I'd be more concerned about our four legged animals and 2 legged idiots that sometimes belong more to the animal Kingdom than the human one.
1 x

fra81

Pepper Spray for self-defence

Post by fra81 »

Hi,
does anyone know if Pepper Spray for self-defence are forbidden in Central Asia?
I am particurarly nervous about the Uzbek checkings..
Has anyone ever carried one , being checked and got away with it?
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Pepper Spray for self-defence

Post by steven »

According to this article from 2017, it is legal for citizens in Uzbekistan, but they need a license

http://upl.uz/obshestvo/2849-news.html

This would make it illegal for you since you do not have a license.

According to Saule, the same is true in Kazakhstan: legal, but you need a license, and a home safe to store it.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D