Money questions

Talk about the forum & website, off-topic chatter, etc.
tucker1986

carrying cash and budget estimate

Post by tucker1986 »

I will be visiting Iraqi Kurdistan, Iran and the stans starting next month. As there is no means of getting cash from atms or by transfer for a period of two months I was wondering what is everyone's experiences of carrying large sums of cash through these countries. There is nothing worse than having anything stolen or a border official seeing a huge horde of money. Any tips or experiences welcome
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: carrying cash and budget estimate

Post by steven »

I don't know about Iraq, but I assume you can get money from an ATM in Iran. For the Stans: in Turkmenistan you will need to bring all your money, and in Uzbekistan it is better too, even though ATM's do work, but at an unfavorable exchange rate. Remember that you have to declare all the money you bring into Uzbekistan. I personally wouldn't hide anything from them.

Other Stans are no problem to take out money from the machine or get it send by wire through Western Union.

About carrying cash, money belt and different secret pockets are your best bet as always.

For budget estimates - did you see the travel budget pages?
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Velotraveller

Changing money

Post by Velotraveller »

I heard that it´s easier to change Dollars into Somoni in Tajikistan so I am wondering if it´s advisable to change Euros into Dollars in my Homecountry before flying to Dushanbe to get a better exchange rate ? Any advice on that ? Michael
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Changing money

Post by steven »

0 x

Jealgu

Money questions

Post by Jealgu »

I have a few questions about the money to take in a Beijing to Europe overland trip.

1. In the money pages for each country I read that I need to take 'crisp and clean' money. I am thinking of carrying a part of my money in a money belt in which I need to fold my money two or three times to fit it in. Would these bills still count as crisp and clean? Anyone experience with this?

2. After leaving China I am planning to spent several months in Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan and Iran.
As I understand it is not possible (Iran/Turkmenistan) or unreliable (Tajikistan/uzbekistan) to get money out of ATMs. Would I need to take all my travel money, several thousands of dollars/euros, with me or should I trust in being able to withdraw dollars in either Dushanbe or Tashkent? The latter would have the advantage of not having to carry loads of cash through china for months.

3. I am struggling a bit with the question of taking euros and dollars. As I understand both are accepted throughout central asia, but in Turkmenistand dollars are preffered and I need dollars to pay for visas. I am right with this.
I also read on Tajikistan's money page that dollars might be preffered in small places without an official exchange. Would I be able to exchange euros in Murghab? (I might enter Tajikistan through the Qolma pass).
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Money questions

Post by steven »

1. It will be fine.

2. You can always get money out in Tashkent and Dushanbe. It might require some running around, but it is definitely possible.

3. Take at least some dollars with you for Turkmenistan and smaller places where you might need to exchange. Euros in Murghab - it's a maybe.
0 x

jessev

Carrying Cash

Post by jessev »

Hello everyone,
I've read quite a few posts concerning the issue of money in Tajikistan but I am hoping to hear some specifics from people who have done this before. I'll be in Tajikistan this summer and am planning on spending the full 45 days there. I will be starting in Dushanbe but the bulk of the trip will be in the Pamirs.

It seems through my reading that there really aren't many options for getting cash once you're in the Pamirs. Am I going to have to take out cash for my entire trip before I leave Dushanbe? I hate the idea of traveling with a month's worth of money in my pack.

Anyone who knows about this situation, all insight and info is appreciated. I am planning on going through part of the Bartang Valley then down to Ishkashim, through the Wakhan, up to Murghab, Karakul and then into Kyrgyzstan in order to cross to China via Erkeshtam.

Thank you!
0 x

hamdone

Re: Carrying Cash

Post by hamdone »

jessev wrote:Hello everyone,
I've read quite a few posts concerning the issue of money in Tajikistan but I am hoping to hear some specifics from people who have done this before. I'll be in Tajikistan this summer and am planning on spending the full 45 days there. I will be starting in Dushanbe but the bulk of the trip will be in the Pamirs.

It seems through my reading that there really aren't many options for getting cash once you're in the Pamirs. Am I going to have to take out cash for my entire trip before I leave Dushanbe? I hate the idea of traveling with a month's worth of money in my pack.

Anyone who knows about this situation, all insight and info is appreciated. I am planning on going through part of the Bartang Valley then down to Ishkashim, through the Wakhan, up to Murghab, Karakul and then into Kyrgyzstan in order to cross to China via Erkeshtam.

Thank you!
Need to find the same info. I have PMed you.
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Re: Money questions

Post by bwv812 »

A month's worth of cash isn't all that much in Tajikistan, and there is at least one ATM in Khorog. I'd probably take out enough money in Dushanbe just to be safe, but if you are in a pinch there will certainly be a way to get money even if there's a problem with the ATM(s) in Khorog.
0 x

jessev

Re: Carrying Cash

Post by jessev »

hamdone wrote: Need to find the same info. I have PMed you.
I've returned from my trip this summer, I spent over a month in Tajikistan hiking and hitchhiking the Bartang and Wakhan valleys. I ended up taking out cash ahead of time then converting it to Somoni in Tajikistan. This worked extremely well for me. While there were ATMs periodically I never had to worry about taking out cash and I had more than enough to last me the entire time. It was easy and I never felt like it was risky to carry around, though I kept it on me at all times. Let me know if you have any questions.
0 x