Forum for driving around Africa

Talk about the forum & website, off-topic chatter, etc.
Spark78

Post by Spark78 »

Hi everyone,

Apologies to admins, if you felt that this was an inappropriate query.

I drove from London to India back in summer of 2015 and found lot of helpful information on this forum.
Special thanks to Steven who kindly replied to few of our queries by emails.

I am planning to do another another adventure drive from London to Capetown in near future.

I was wondering if travel enthusiasts/adventure travellers on here could guide me to a 'Carvanistan like forum' for Africa, any websites, travel blogs or share their personal experiences.

Regards
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Hi Spark,

not inappropriate at all, although I did delete your other posts as I don't like doubles - things tend to get confusing with different answers in different posts.

If you speak French, voyage-forum is very good. It's like the French LP forum but more organised and with better traveler info.

Weltreiseforum is the same in German. In English, there is of course Horizons Unlimited.

But please let us know if you find useful travel websites, and also if you do not. I am wondering if it makes sense to start a Caravanistan for Africa - visas and border crossings to start with.

So let me know if you find good info. If you don't, I might consider it as a side project. I am obviously pretty busy with this project, but I have a feeling the Caravanistan touch could be helpful for English-speaking Africa travelers. And I could learn something new.
1 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

ventureforthphoto

Re: Forum for driving around Africa

Post by ventureforthphoto »

HUBB is also good for North Africa/the Sahara:

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/north-africa/
2 x

bolobolobolo

Post by bolobolobolo »

Hi,

You can also use www.4x4community.co.za from South Africa (in English). You will find there find the best information about all countries in Southern and Eastern Africa (From Kenya / Angola to SA).

Cheers.

Eric
2 x

Spark78

Post by Spark78 »

Thank you guys for your suggestions, will definitely look through these very soon.
Have been caught up in general life stuff lately :)

Steven, that's a great idea. This forum was super helpful for us during out last journey. I am sure a community like this for African roads/borders/visa information will be useful for many people. I am hoping to do it this winter, just awaiting confirmation from my fellow travellers for the go ahead.

If I came across any other useful websites, will definitely post the info here.

Thanks again.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Spark78 wrote:Steven, that's a great idea. This forum was super helpful for us during out last journey. I am sure a community like this for African roads/borders/visa information will be useful for many people.
If anyone is interested in setting this up, please get in touch. I don't have the time to do it myself, but I can partner.
0 x

christye

Post by christye »

Did anything ever come of this? I will be planning Southern/Eastern Africa for 2020, September-ish for 4 + months, just getting started.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Haha, no I'm not going to start another travel website. One is enough.

If I ever finish with this thing, I'd rather write about something different than travel. Not that I am not interested in traveling in Africa, sounds wonderful, but I have other interests as well! :-)
0 x

Hugues

Post by Hugues »

Not a forum but quite a nice source of information from a guy who has done the complete round tour of Africa from Morocco down to South-Africa and then back up on the east side:
https://www.youtube.com/@TheRoadChoseMe/videos

Many videos, but plenty of tips along the way, worth watching really, i'm now at Malawi.
0 x