Caravanistan improvements: suggestions?

Talk about the forum & website, off-topic chatter, etc.
pikdonker

Re: Caravanistan improvements: suggestions?

Post by pikdonker »

steven wrote: regarding the site map: which pages were useful but difficult to find for you?
Some things are quite deep into the site, like the walks in Tashkent, and would be better accessable through a sitemap.

I just noticed that this is not the greatest example, but then again it is. It isn't because there is https://caravanistan.com/category/places/ which has an overview of things like the walks in Tashkent, but it is because that overview isn't easily found, I just noticed it in the breadcrumbs..
steven wrote: accommodation reviews are coming: I visited about 150 hotels and hostels in Uzbekistan last time I was there, but I have not yet had the time to upload all the reviews. For the future though, I need to earn more money so I can pay someone to help with this project, as it's too much for one person.
Do you have an ETA on this? Would love to go through your reviews before booking things in Uzbekistan (on that note, and offtopic, I'll be there second week of sept, how fast do things fill up in that period?) (I do understand that posting that many reviews takes a massive amount of time. Maintaining this site in general probably takes a massive amount of time. The result is really great btw, the love and care with which it's made really shows, thank you very much!)
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Regarding site structure, I have been thinking of getting rid of the blog entirely, I will keep your comments in mind.

Regarding the hotels - just send me an e-mail with your needs, my address is slightly hidden on our contact page, I will just give you some personalized advice. The reviews are only for after the summer - like you said, time is the major issue.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

sebhoff

Post by sebhoff »

Just wondering: recently-updated pages (https://caravanistan.com/recently-updated/) claims that you haven't updated anything since 30 April - is this true, or is the page not being updated? (Please don't read this as 'Why don't you update your website anymore!!?' - I'm just genuinely wondering whether I'm missing something...)
Sebastian
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

No, that's correct. I was traveling for the past month, just reading the forum and my e-mails is all I can manage during times of travel. I came to Almaty yesterday and have about 100 updates to fill in over the coming days.

Sorry for the wait, but travel is also necessary to stay up to date!
0 x

sebhoff

Post by sebhoff »

Cool - looking forward to the update flood then! :-)
Sebastian
0 x

murg

Post by murg »

Hi Steven & Saule

there is not much to improve, your site & Forum is outstanding.

Right now, on the road for almost 4 weeks, I access the Forum by smartphone only, as most travellers will do I guess.
If the letters would auto-enlarge when I correct them(Using German Auto correct I constantly have to) like they do at WhatsApp for example writting would be much easier.

Just let me tell you how much caravanistan & the Community helped us both in preparation & on the road. You've created an online gem!
I do my best to participate as long as I am in the area with Up to date information & dropped you a few coins in the tip jar, too.

Thanx/Awesome/greetings from Osh
2 x
Riding the globe (well, at least some parts)
living in Germany

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Thanks so much murg!

I'll look into the possibilities for enlarging the letters. The forum software is pretty outdated, and switching to new software, well, that's a big and dangerous project - there are more urgent things.

Enjoy the trip, send my regards to everyone in Osh (it's a small town, I'm pretty sure I know everyone there :-)
1 x

sebhoff

Post by sebhoff »

Hi Steven,
the recently-updated pages link (https://caravanistan.com/recently-updated/) disappeared a while ago... Can I get my (almost) daily fix of what's new on your site in any way? ;-)
Thanks!
Sebastian
0 x

plom

Post by plom »

Mastercard has an ATM locator, I can't verify if it's accurate but it might help people looking at the money guides like: https://caravanistan.com/uzbekistan/money/

https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/consume ... t-atm.html
2 x