Caravanistan improvements: suggestions?

Talk about the forum & website, off-topic chatter, etc.
steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Caravanistan improvements: suggestions?

Post by steven »

No, India is really too far off the the core. But thanks, you are marked as the expert!
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Post by bwv812 »

Along the lines of the Sakura Guesthouse incident I mentioned in another thread, I think that additional information about issues that women may (or may not) encounter would be helpful.

Information about camping and cycling (especially about what ind of gear is available and where you can get it) would probably also be helpful.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Thanks bwv, I had a scams and dangers page but it kind of got lost when I reorganised the website last winter. It's still there, though, and I am working right now on a section about safety, health etc. besides more inspirational things like itineraries. So will definitely include your danger alert when it's there.

I have been hesitating about writing something for single female travelers, but since I am not one of them, feel like I cannot do that. Same for cycling. But you gave me the idea to crowdsource ideas.

Camping I always thought self-explanatory - just camp - is there anything else you think needs to be said? I did make a page once, but it got lost in the same way, could not find a place to categorize it.
0 x

sebhoff

Post by sebhoff »

Hi Steven,
I have a suggestion for a potential improvement to the site - if it can be fairly easily implemented, of course...
It would be very nice to be able to see somewhere which pages have recently been updated (and which pages were added). By now, I have probably read most of the pages that are available on your site, and it would be nice to be able to quickly locate any changes - a bit like in the forum, where recent topics are listed on top.
What do you think?
Sebastian
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Hi Sebastian, that is a good idea. I never thought of that before. And an easy fix as well! Love those.

Have a look here: http://caravanistan.com/recently-updated/ for the 100 most recently updated pages. I will throw a link in the footer or sidebar soon to the page.
0 x

sebhoff

Post by sebhoff »

Cool - thanks!
Sebastian
0 x

georgestravelsasia

Post by georgestravelsasia »

IndianGuy wrote:You can count me as someone who will reply to topics involving "India" though I would not like to commit much at this point of time. I will do my best. But, I do not feel we need to create forum/sub-forum for India.
For India there is indiamike.com
0 x

leela

Post by leela »

On a trivial level, how about having an icon for browser tabs? When I've got lots of pages open, I lose Caravanistan, because its tab isn't easily findable.
I don't know if they cost anything or are difficult to create, but a favicon does make life easier when I need to come back to a site.
1 x

pikdonker

Post by pikdonker »

Two things I would like:

- a better sitemap. This page is somewhat of a sitemap but not complete. Some pages have amazing info but can be hard to find.

- some actual recommendation on hotels/hostels/airbnbs/other places to stay besides the general accomodation advice... I would probably trust a recommendation here far more than the often meaningless reviews on booking or airbnb..
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Hi pikdonker,

regarding the site map: which pages were useful but difficult to find for you?

accommodation reviews are coming: I visited about 150 hotels and hostels in Uzbekistan last time I was there, but I have not yet had the time to upload all the reviews. For the future though, I need to earn more money so I can pay someone to help with this project, as it's too much for one person.
0 x