Exchanging manat outside of Turkmenistan

Talk about the forum & website, off-topic chatter, etc.
ustrasse

Exchanging manat outside of Turkmenistan

Post by ustrasse »

More money woes from us...

We've stupidly taken 120 monat out of Turkmenistan into Uzbekistan. I guess all the black market money guys had already gone home for the day, because there were none at either side of the Konye-Urgench border when we went through. We tried selling it on the black market in Nukus but had no luck. Banks of course will not take it....

Has anyone had any success exchanging monat outside of Turkmenistan? Hoping that maybe we'd have better chances in Bukhara, but if anyone has any advice that would be great! We could really use the money as it's so hard to get cash here in Uzbekistan (and precious petrol!) and our supplies are drying up.
0 x
Route nach Unbekannte Straße
From Germany to....?
http://www.u-strasse.com

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Exchanging monat outside of Turkmenistan

Post by steven »

Very difficult, nobody wants it, perhaps somewhere in Bukhara. I would target backpackers going to Turkmenistan.

Too late now, but I recommend everyone to take all or most of their money needs into Uzbekistan.

Also, don't take any som out of Uzbekistan, it's even more toxic than manat!
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

ustrasse

Re: Exchanging monat outside of Turkmenistan

Post by ustrasse »

Thanks for the advice about Uzbek som! We'll be sure to get rid of all of our bricks of cash before we leave :)

For anyone who is interested:

Re: Turkmen manat, here in Bukhara the black market is willing to buy them at a measly rate of 500 som per manat, which is about half of what it's worth according to the "official" manat-USD exchange rate. Still searching for backpackers heading that way... we might just drive to the border and see about selling it there.

We were also able to find a Visa-only ATM that dispenses USD at a rate of 2.5% commission... and it actually had cash in it! Probably because tourist season has just about finished.

Re: petrol, in Karakalpakstan the situation was pretty dismal. In Kungrad everyone told us to go to Nukus because there was no petrol in town at all. From Hojayli southward we've been able to find it pretty easily on the black market for 5000 som/litre of what I would assume is low-grade petrol. We read online that September and October are the biggest months for fuel shortages because of the cotton harvest, and after our struggles in the north of Uzbekistan we really wish we'd brought more jerry cans full of wonderful 1000 toman/litre Iranian petrol!
0 x
Route nach Unbekannte Straße
From Germany to....?
http://www.u-strasse.com