Uzbekistan > Turkmenistan > Iran - (how) can it be done?

Talk about the forum & website, off-topic chatter, etc.
Structurally sound

Uzbekistan > Turkmenistan > Iran - (how) can it be done?

Post by Structurally sound »

I'm in the very early stages in planning an overland trip from Tashkent to Tehran via Turkmenistan. Since this isn't a super popular tourist route, there is quite scare information online and I am not sure if it is even possible to do. My main question at the moment is whether to travel via private or public transport.

If I travel by car, is it possible to pick up a rental car in Tashkent and drop off in Tehran? I know it is possible to do something similar within Europe but I suspect this would have something to do with the EU, which doesn't exist in central Asia. What then would my options be for driving?

Alternatively, is it possible to travel this journey via public transport (taxi/train/bus/etc) ? and if so is it possible to do this without being badly cheated / stranded?

Finally, if neither of the above are possible, are there any alternatives I've missed?

p.s I'm new here so I hope you can forgive me for my ignorance :)
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Re: Uzbekistan > Turkmenistan > Iran - (how) can it be done?

Post by bwv812 »

You can't do a car rental, and plenty of people here have done it on public/shared transport (there are lots of trip reports here if you search, or even search the core, non-forum content). You may pay more if your bargaining skills are bad, but you won't be stranded.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Uzbekistan > Turkmenistan > Iran - (how) can it be done?

Post by steven »

0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D