Exporting car from Azerbaijan to Georgia

Put your wanted/for sale ads here for cars and motorbikes
Forum rules
For sale ads will be automatically removed 180 days after the last post was made.
Tox1994

Exporting car from Azerbaijan to Georgia

Post by Tox1994 »

Hi, everyone. I am new here and need your advice and expertise. I have lived in Azerbaijan for the last 15 years but I am Georgian citizen. I want to move my car registered in Azerbaijan with Azerbaijani license plates to Georgia. Actually to export my car from Azerbaijan to Georgia. However, as the land boarder is closed to drive it, what are the other ways to export it from Baku to Tbilisi. Please help me with step-by-step instructions how. I would be very grateful for ypur advice. Thanks a lot.
0 x

PeterM

Re: Exporting car from Azerbaijan to Georgia

Post by PeterM »

Hi,

the land border is NOT closed if you want to leave Azerbaijan !

There is no problem to drive from Baku to Tbilisi.
0 x

Tox1994

Post by Tox1994 »

Ooo, thanks. I mean Red Bridge. I have temporary residence permit and work permit (1 year) in Azerbaijan. So, you mean that, I can drive my car, which I have with General Power of Attorney (Generalnaya doverennost) and with Azerbaijan registration to Georgia via Red Bridge? According to Georgia laws I can stay there with the car for 1 year if not exporting it but just traveling. And return after, let's say several months? Will I be able to keep Azerbaijani registration on the car in Georgia and return with it in case Georgia imposes Euro 5 regulations? My car is 1997 classic Audi and if Georgia decides Euro 5 from January, I wanted to just travel and stay there for few months and then return. I hope I was clearly explaining my point. Thanks
0 x

agshin

Post by agshin »

Foreigners can leave Azerbaijan. And during recent months I was witness, it took place but regarding General Power of attorney I have doubts. Please call Border service of Azerbaijan to double check, they may not let you export the car while you are not the legal owner. I.e. normally General Power of attorney (generalnaya doverennost) does not give you the power to take the car outside the country. You can only do what is stated on that document.
0 x
Agshin

Tox1994

Post by Tox1994 »

I understand. Thank you so much for clearing things up. However, as far as I know in Azerbaijan foreigners cannot own the car, except for exporting it outside the country. Means, you can buy a car in Azerbaijan but need to 'unregister' it for reexporting and take it out. But people told me that before pandemic the general Power of Attorney was enough to cross the boarder. Probably, I need to find out if Temporary Residence and Work permit has any privileges regarding owning the vehicle in Azerbaijan. I tried to get info from legal sources but unfortunately no avail - some say one some say other. As for the Red Bridge in Baku competent people tell me that customs there have their rules and need to contact someone who is official source their.
0 x

PeterM

Post by PeterM »

As far as I know, a foreign-registered car can only stay for 3 months in Georgia ....
0 x

Tox1994

Post by Tox1994 »

That is correct. But for citizens of Georgia bringing cars for personal use is a little different. I mean if you are citizen of Georgia traveling with a foreign registered car. I think so. Anyway, I will try to find out. The problem is to avoid using one car in Azerbaijan and another in Georgia. But I do not see logic here: e.g. I work in Azerbaijan legally and have to travel frequently to Georgia. I have to use plane only. If it is confirmed that I can leave Azerbaijan with the Power of Attorney which allows me to sell the car anywhere, then after 90 days I will have to bring car back to Azerbaijan... Here is a snag: from Georgia you can enter Azerbaijan only by air. So, I will be stuck in Georgia and penalized to fail clearing the car in 90 days. Georgians do not care about Power of Attorney as they do not have it as long as you have driver's license. On the other hand, Azerbaijan does not allow foreigners to register bought by him car under his name as his property. So, it's a classic Catch-22. Please share with me if you know that a foreign citizen with the temporary residence/work permit can own the car bought in Azerbaijan. Then things may be little easier to figure out. I mean own a car in Azerbaijan without an obligation to export it.
0 x