Private Car / Flight Dushanbe - Khorog

All about Tajikistan. Expert: Pamirski, Christian77
tokyodom

Private Car / Flight Dushanbe - Khorog

Post by tokyodom »

Have searched previous threads and most if the transport questions are focused on doing the whole of the Pamir Highway. Am lucky to have been there in 2002, but this time am heading in to the Afghan Pamir with a group of 4-5 friends so just focused on Dushanbe - Khorog and looking for updated info and prices on;

4WD Car / Van - private rental, ideally direct with driver, the cost estimates vary wildly. I did have an account on INDY Guide last year but it seems to have disappeared and can't access messages / offers but have it in my head that a 2 day trip was about Somoni 3000-3500 or $270-300 if booked direct ? Does anyone have specific driver recommendations, especially with a 4WD (Delica or similar) or is it possible to show up at driver's depot the day before and organise something?

Flight - read that Air Tajikistan announced reinstatement of the Dushanbe - Khorog route costing 990 somoni last July but not sure if it ever actually re-started ? If not, are the PACTEC flights still flying and do they cost 1,100 somoni or double that figure ($200) as seen both quoted ?

Finally, has anyone seen the new 3rd edition Bradt Tajikistan guidebook and does it look better than the badly reviewed 1st & 2nd editions ?

Thanks in advance for your help / advice
0 x

Christian77
Tajikistan expert
Tajikistan expert

Re: Private Car / Flight Dushanbe - Khorog

Post by Christian77 »

I'm not on the ground right now, but last I heard the government demanded an extra $100 per person landing fee for the Dushanbe-Khorog flight, effectively pushing out PACTEC. https://www.asiaplustj.info/en/node/283608

Don't show up at the driver's depot/avtostantsiya. It may work out, or you may waste a lot of time (but it should be easier to get a driver to leave quickly if you have a group with you, as opposed to traveling solo or in a pair). Get a driver pre-arranged online or through your guesthouse (they have a list of reliable guys they can call).

The driver you get through a guesthouse/hostel will be cheaper than booking online or through a nice hotel.

As for prices in general, it depends on how nice the car is, if the driver speaks English, the season, local events (back to school, holidays, etc.). But I only keep track of local prices for a single seat, not group tourist prices.

In general, this is not 2002. You will be able to easily get a driver to take you to the Pamirs in the summer (on a far better quality road that decades past). Don't worry too much...

PS: it may be worth it to make arrangements with the same single driver for Dushanbe-Khorog-Ishkoshim. For the right price he'll wait around Khorog while you take a break (or pass you on to a friend who can drive you there). That may save you time and money.
0 x

deidren

Post by deidren »

Hi Christian, I know it varies, but what do you guess current prices would be for a single seat cost? I’m trying to recreate my trip from 2020 (which obviously canceled) as best as I can. I’ve read a good amount of drivers have probably switched occupations due to the lack of tourists and was wondering if this has this effected prices. Looking at May or June of 2021. Thank you!
0 x

Christian77
Tajikistan expert
Tajikistan expert

Post by Christian77 »

Well, there is regular local traffic between Khorog and Dushanbe, so only the tourist-only upper-end drivers have been put out of work. The tourist price for a single seat on a regular demand day in a shared local car used to be 300 Somoni, but it could jump for certain dates (back to school week when students return from the Pamirs to their university in Dushanbe pushed the price up by about 50 Somoni, for example).

But prices have been rising in Somoni to match the dollar (and energy prices, which are extreme in Tajikistan compared to Uzbekistan and Kyrgyzstan) and I've heard of 25% increases in other shorter routes, plus the shared taxis in Dushanbe jumping their prices.

So, my rough guess would be plan for maybe maximum 400 Somoni for Khorog-Dushanbe. But again, not really a price increase for foreign visitors when compared to the dollar or euro.

A Pamiri or guesthouse manager could answer this immediately with way more accuracy... But I wouldn't worry, it's somewhere between $30 and $40.Your worry will be getting past Khorog. Dushanbe-Khorog is the easy/cheap part.
0 x

Kalpazan

Post by Kalpazan »

Don't know how accurate is this nowadays but it may help you:

https://caravanistan.com/tour/rent-car- ... r-highway/
0 x

tokyodom

Post by tokyodom »

Thanks Kalzapan but as per my post, I’m specifically not looking for the whole Pamir Highway hire, just Dushanbe - Khorog and back.

Hopefully, Tajikistan will start opening up by the summer.
0 x

Nazrulo

Post by Nazrulo »

Hello there
Below is the first-hand information related to the topic.

The cost for a shared taxi (4WD) between Dushanbe-Khorog remains 350TJS as it was last although the price of petrol and other commodities have increased drastically in the last few months. For a private car with a night stop in Qalai Khumb (if you wish to travel between Dushanbe -Khorog in two days instead of one 12-14 hours drive) the price would be around 2500-2800TJS which is about USD 250-280 (at this point of time 1USD=11.30TJS).

Regarding the flight.
So far there is no regular flight operating between Dushanbe-Khorog and the PACTEC flight stopped operating last year due to some unknown reason. Although Tajik air helicopter MI 8 attempted to resume the flight (as their only small plane in this route finally retired An28 :)) but due to the lack of passengers, they hardly had few flights before grounding again. (the flight is quite expensive (-950TJS)and people don't have other options except traveling by road).
Last edited by Nazrulo on Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

nickd

Post by nickd »

Nazrulo wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:27 am
Hello there

The cost for a shared taxi (4WD) between Dushanbe-Khorog remains 350TJS as it was last although the price of petrol and other commodities have increased drastically in the last few months. For a private car with a night stop in
350 for Dushanbe - Khorog is higher than last year. It was possible to find car even at 250 (back seat), 300 seemed to be regular price, driver's first offer
1 x

Nazrulo

Post by Nazrulo »

nickd wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:48 pm
Nazrulo wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:27 am
Hello there

The cost for a shared taxi (4WD) between Dushanbe-Khorog remains 350TJS as it was last although the price of petrol and other commodities have increased drastically in the last few months. For a private car with a night stop in
350 for Dushanbe - Khorog is higher than last year. It was possible to find car even at 250 (back seat), 300 seemed to be regular price, driver's first offer
Yes, agree but usually, the summer travel price between Dushanbe-Khorog varies from the rest of the season as along with the guests and foreign visitors many locals including students and families who are originally from the Pamirs travel back for vocation and therefore there is no fixed price during that particular period which continues till mid-Sep. In addition, as I mentioned already, the price of petrol has increased by about 25-30% earlier this year and almost all commodities price followed the increase.
0 x

Christian77
Tajikistan expert
Tajikistan expert

Post by Christian77 »

One local driver is reporting that the cost for a seat for locals (Dushanbe to Khorog) is now $40, and say it is due to the cost of fuel and demand by passengers (Pamiris from Dushanbe visiting their relatives and getting out of the heat, etc.), and nothing to do with the security situation on the other side of the border.
0 x