Cities and lakes questions

All about Tajikistan. Expert: Pamirski, Christian77
FRT15

Cities and lakes questions

Postby FRT15 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:31 am

If you had to choose one city to visit between khujand, istaravshan, and Panjakent which would you choose? I'm interested in architecture, grand mosques, markets, and lots of walking. Perhaps similar to Samarkand or Bukhara.

How does the 7 lakes compare to iskanderkul for a 1 day or overnight trip using public transportation? I'm looking for short trips with a small amount of trekking. Something simple to arrange is a bonus.

Thanks
0 x

saule
Kazakhstan expert
Kazakhstan expert

Re: Cities and lakes questions

Postby saule » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:12 am

I suggest that you visit Khujand and Panjakent. Both have a rich history and Silk Road trade centres. Istaravshan is good for a quick stop to see craft street but you can see the similarities in Khujand. It is hard to compare them to Bukhara but you will have a good overview of how it is there if you spend some time around Panjanbe bazaar and park around Historical museum of Suhd.
In Panjakent you can explore area around Bazaar and Ancient Panjakent.
You won´t need more than a day to explore each city.

We trekked and camped around 7 Lakes few years ago. You can reach it by shared jeeps which leave around 12 o`clock from the market in Panjakent. You will be driving in a cramped car with villagers coming back from the market. )) This is so far the only transport. I suggest you take a tent and camp around lake 6. Taxis leaving early around 7 am to Panjakent, make sure to ask someone.
I think 7 lakes are far easier to reach compared to Iskanderkul.
0 x
Saule at Caravanistan team

F_aroundtheworld

Re: Cities and lakes questions

Postby F_aroundtheworld » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:06 pm

Hi,
for a tour to Iskanderkul I found this: https://www.facebook.com/events/2284401185143108/
they seem to provide one day trips every day from Dushanbe. 160 Somoni seems pretty fair to me.

If you find any information on how to get to seven lakes from Dushanbe, please let me know as well, I´d like to go there next week.
Kind regards,
Frederik
0 x