Latest Tajikistan Stupidity: Bring 10 copies of your GBAO/Visa

All about Tajikistan. Expert: Pamirski, Christian77
Christian77
Tajikistan expert
Tajikistan expert

Latest Tajikistan Stupidity: Bring 10 copies of your GBAO/Visa

Postby Christian77 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:41 am

Within the last week several drivers have warned tourists that they should bring about 10 print-outs of their Tajik visa with GBAO permit for the Pamir Highway trip. Why? Because the guards at the checkpoints have now started demanding to keep a copy of your permit. Why? I don't know. Nobody knows anything here. Nobody can answer anything. This is not a policy made by the tourism people in the government, nor by the MFA. This is a GKNB (KGB) rule change. They can do what they want, no matter how much it harms tourism development.

Obviously, this is dumb as hell. No announcement. No warning. And I wouldn't be surprised if it is enforced sporadically or not at all after they fail completely to collect copies from tourists who are completely unprepared.

10 copies? I guess you could go through 10 checkpoints if you do all the side trips.

And should you print out the original, or a photocopy of the print-out with the stamp from your first entry? I don't know.

Good luck finding a printer in your homestay on Lake Karakol after you cross from Kyrgyzstan.

Nobody knows anything. I can't give any more information than this. It may be a permanent new problem, a temporary measure, a rule that is enforced sporadically, or a rule that is soon to be abandoned in practice. Welcome to Tajikistan.

I fully expect some responses saying "This didn't happen at all. We were just there."
4 x

murg

Re: Latest Tajikistan Stupidity: Bring 10 copies of your GBAO/Visa

Postby murg » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:27 am

Christian77 wrote:I fully expect some responses saying "This didn't happen at all. We were just there."

This DID Happen to us, but only once, in May.
We encountered about 6 Checkpoints on our trip through TDJ.
The one between Kalaikhum & Khorog asked for a Copy.
We did not have any. No Problem, the officer wrote down everything he needed and we continued.

But I wonder what will happen - If this becomes Standard procedure - to all the Travellers who enter without a printout, having Visa & GBAO permit on their phones only?

Besides... My Visa has never been stamped at all!

Safe travelling!
1 x
Riding the globe (well, at least some parts)
living in Germany

Fess

Postby Fess » Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:27 pm

Finished the trip 1 week ago and didn’t even have 1 copy only on my phone- actually had 1 tucked away in my bag and just using the phone turned out fine
1 x

blakep76

Postby blakep76 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:34 pm

Just did this trip....asked the driver about it, and his reply was that the guards at some of the checkpoints are either genuinely slow, or being deliberately annoying, frequently taking 10 mins per passenger to enter the details into their notebooks. If you have a full car that can mean half an hour per stop multiplied by 9 or 10 checkpoints. Timewise it can really add up. With evisa/GBAO photocopies the driver can be in and out of the office in seconds. Seems like it's more of a time saving or convenience thing than an actual legality at the moment?
1 x

Kiwi

Postby Kiwi » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:15 am

Same here: we had only one print out and told them every time ("copy na dariiiim!") and no problem (but yes, they can take some time to write it down...)
0 x

Irisz

Postby Irisz » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:36 pm

So it is definitely not necessary to have 10 copies but I would recommend you to make some if you have the chance, especially if you are with a group.
We were 4 in plus 1 driver and after one of us was stupid enough to not find his visa on his phone when we crossed the border (took away a few hours of that day) our driver made us make copies at the bazar in murghab. So whenever we came to a checkpoint he jumped out, left our copies and it saved a lot of time.
1 x

Christian77
Tajikistan expert
Tajikistan expert

Postby Christian77 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:17 pm

I just finished the Pamir Highway and I was able to talk to an experienced driver and a tour organizer about this issue. As mentioned above, it is about saving time at the checkpoints. It is not a requirement, but if you want to move on quickly, then have copies to hand over. But it is not just a photocopy of your e-visa, a copy of your passport also helps to speed up the process. So, between Osh and Khorog, via the Wakhan, have 6 copies of your e-visa (but keep the stamped original form the border) and 6 copies of your passport. If going between Dushanbe and Osh, plus side trips, then you may need up to 10 copies of each.
1 x

rhinomaxil

Postby rhinomaxil » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:32 pm

We were told that as well and did 10 copies of both our passport and visa. Turned out we never used them. Most checkpoints opened the gates without even us stepping out of the car and the few times we had to show our passport and visa, it took max 5 minutes (and it’s a good opportunity to talk to the friendly guards anyway). Unless you’re a big group there’s really no point.
1 x