travel preparation start

All about Tajikistan. Expert: Pamirski, Christian77
grazia

travel preparation start

Post by grazia »

hello everyone
i wanted to take a trip on the m41 in your opinion mid-May start June is ok for the time
I have to start studying the trip but I was wondering if 15 days are enough.
I am Italian and I am 60 years old so not really a young explorer
I would like opinions on altitude and if you have had any problems
the site is beautiful compliments
0 x

Christian77
Tajikistan expert
Tajikistan expert

Re: travel preparation start

Post by Christian77 »

Mid-May to early June is fine for a start day -- as long as you are not wanting to go hiking and trekking at higher elevations (there will still be snow up high).

15 days is perfect. That gives you time to stay longer in certain locations and to not have to drive as far every day.

As far as high altitude, if you start in Dushanbe you won't have any problems, as the gain in elevation will be slow. But if you start from Osh in Kyrgyzstan you will gain elevation very quickly. Some people get a small headache and have problems sleeping at night. But usually it's only the cyclists who have a hard time. Us lazy people in the cars do quite well.

I don't think age is a problem. You won't be carrying supplies on your back over a high mountain pass. The Pamir Highway is not really an "adventure," that's just the tour company marketing. The car takes you everywhere, most attractions are right next to the road, and you only hike if you want to. I got ten hours of sleep every night (no internet, no alcohol, no entertainment). At the end of my trip I was the most rested I've been in decades.

The worst stories I hear usually have to do with stomach problems from bad food. One tour operator estimates it at 30% of travelers.
1 x