Visa on arrival Dushanbe

All about Tajikistan. Expert: Pamirski, Christian77
Valikhanov

Visa on arrival Dushanbe

Post by Valikhanov »

Hi there,

I am somewhat confused about the requirements for obtaining a visa on arrival at Dushanbe airport.
While several websites claim that all you need is a passport (e.g. https://www.ivisa.com/tajikistan-blog/t ... on-arrival),
this official Tadjik site mentions an electronic application form. (http://www.tajembassy.org.uk/consular-s ... on-arrival)
Any experiences of what to bring?

I know that there is an easy way to get an e-visa, but since I collect visas and stamps, I want to have a sticker in my passport. That´s why I´d prefer the visa on arrival.

Thanks in advance!
0 x

Christian77
Tajikistan expert
Tajikistan expert

Re: Visa on arrival Dushanbe

Post by Christian77 »

I helped a woman through the process (she didn't actually need help, but she was out of her comfort zone). She needed a pen, and that was it. They spoke English and they had all the paperwork to fill out at the consular office window (when you come down the stairs the window will be on your right).

But...everything changes. It's inconsistent. What works at 10am may not work at 4pm. It's Tajikistan. Someone will tell you a story about how a smiling consular officer who spoke perfect English walked them through a very easy process, and then someone else tells of a bureaucratic hell. They really are trying to help out tourists these days, but weird stuff happens (computer doesn't work, they run out of forms, untrained employee doesn't know what to do).

Also, I've seen both Turkish Airlines and Aviatraffic check for visas when you check into your flight. The employee you deal with may or may not accept your "visa on arrival" story instead of the e-visa in hand. And you may find that the whiter you are and the more effective your passport, the better luck you will have with both the airlines and the consular officer (I'm assuming that your forum name is a historical reference, not an indication of your ethnicity).

Based on recent stories, I would say that if you can get by the airlines people, you will get your visa on arrival. I haven't heard a recent story of anyone being put back on a flight or being given a "3 to 5 day and get out" visa...
2 x

Valikhanov

Re: Visa on arrival Dushanbe

Post by Valikhanov »

Thank you, Christian.
I am planning to fly into Dushanbe with Somon Air from Almaty. Since I speak Russian, I am able to explain myself. So I think I´ll give it a try.
0 x