Better way to cross tajikistan to pakistan in self motorbike?

All about Tajikistan. Expert: Pamirski, Christian77
DanielaRahim

Better way to cross tajikistan to pakistan in self motorbike?

Post by DanielaRahim »

Hi,

Me and my husband are leaving from Portugal to India in our motorbikes. :D In the way, we'll cross turkey, iran, turkemenistan, uzbekistan, tajikistan... and we want to do the Pamir Highway - Qolma Pass - Karakorum Pass late may, but with the china borders closed right now, we are not sure if we can. So:

1. We want to try. It's just to get to Pakistan, do we still need the chinese driving license?
3. Can motorbikes enter in China?
4. How much do we have to pay?
2. If we can't cross, is it safe to go through Afeganistan?

Thanks to all!
Daniela
0 x

murg

Re: Better way to cross tajikistan to pakistan in self motorbike?

Post by murg »

Hi Daniela (& husband :)),

we did more or less what you are planning to do last year (Germany - Ukraine - RUS - KZ - UZB - TDJ - KIR - PRC - PAK - IND - Nepal).

It is possible to cross China, but you need an agency and get a visa (with fake itinerary).
Agency provides (or should provide) all documents like LOI for fake visa, Highway permit, PRC driving license, PRC plates.
You will be joined by a guide (and his driver) every single kilometre on the road until Tashkurgan. The last 120 km to the Khunjerab border you are on your own.

The prize depends on the size of your group.
We (due to a tight timeframe) couldn't find a group - we payed about 1600 EUR per person (NOT including accomondtion, food, fuel, visa fee)

Is Afghanistan safe?
I don't know - but even if you get a visa at the consuate in Khorog there will be trouble:

Broghil pass is off limits on the PAK side - you need tons of permits you can only get from within Pakistan (Afaik it's a bilateral border)
Khyber pass is pretty much the same, the route is longer andincludes Kabul.

What I would propose is a different routing:
Wh don't you ride Europe - Turkey - Armenia/Georgia - Russia - Kazakhstan - Kirgistan - Tadjikistan - Uzbekistan - Turkmenistan - Iran - Pakistan....

You would only miss the North face of Khunjerab Pass....and to be honest: the KKH is a great mountain pass through scenic landscape.
But, besides the altitude, it is just a well paved alpine road and nothing special. I'd recommend to spend more time in the 'stans and southern Pakistan.

.... use the forum search - or go through my posts; you'll get tons of first hand information.

If you need any details - let me know!

Dave
2 x
Riding the globe (well, at least some parts)
living in Germany