Cycling Pamir Highway - August/September 2022

All about Tajikistan. Expert: Pamirski, Christian77
Lumdog28

Re: Cycling Pamir Highway - August/September 2022

Post by Lumdog28 »

Do you have links/ sources? And hopefully updates on this situation?
0 x

AreWeThereYet?

Post by AreWeThereYet? »

The Majlis podcast held, on the 12th of June, a show on the situation in GBAO. I think they could've done a better job to provide an 'helicopter view' for those who aren't that in the weeds of GBAO, but the bottom line is that the situation there doesn't seem to be peachy. The panelist seemed all to agree that the situation is worse than in 2014 as there is a particularly bad lining of planets, with Rahmon Jr wanting to gain control of the trade/trafficking route through the GBAO and Russia/China playing along.

The podcast is available on Spotify if one is so inclined. Alternatively I found these articles on RFERL about how Tajik authorities, having arrested pretty much every member of the local potentates/informal authorities in GBAO, are now sweeping up friends and relatives in the region and abroad.

https://www.rferl.org/a/tajikistan-gorn ... 94906.html
https://www.rferl.org/a/tajikistan-gorn ... 93902.html

What I don't understand is whether the north of GBAO is also closed off. In other words, if one were to go there via Osh and attempted to go to, say, Murghab, would the border still be closed? From the little I remember Murghab is a bit less Pamiri than Khorug.
2 x
www.awtytravels.com
Stories from the road.

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Post by bwv812 »

The border is closed for reasons unrelated to the GBAO conflict: all Kyrgyz-Tajik border points are closed.
1 x

danto1

Post by danto1 »

i hope we can cycle from Dushanbe all the way to Osh in 2023 :?
0 x

Sun_is_cycling

Post by Sun_is_cycling »

Hello, I'm looking for cycling buddies for the Pamir highway from Dushanbe to Karakul and going back to Dushanbe via the Bartang valley. I will start at the beginning of September🙂
0 x

SalSalFR

Post by SalSalFR »

Hello guys ! I am currently trying to figure out a plan for my trip this summer 2023 !

I am planning to arrived in Astana, Kazakhstan, then to cycle south to Kyrgyzstan;
From there, things start to get complicated apparently ... As i was thinking to go thru the Kyzyl-art border; but apparently the borders between Kyrgy/Taji are closed for uncertained time...
So i was looking to go from Kyrgyzstan to Ouzbekistan, and then go to Tajikistan, then finally back to Ouzbekistan to cross to go to Aktau, in Kazakhstan to take a flight...
But the thing is i really want to cycle from Karakul to Dushanbe... and i don't know if there is others routes to avoid to do return trip on the same road ? Someone was talking about the Bartang Valley ? And if the visa for tajikistan or GBAO can be more than 30days for french tourist? Well at least for Tajikistan..?
So many questions in my mind ! sorry guys ^^
0 x

willemspie

Post by willemspie »

Yes there is another road between Khorog (in fact, Rushan) and Karakul, via the Bartang valley. Beware it is very remote with very little traffic, and sometimes landslides and flooding.
0 x

SalSalFR

Post by SalSalFR »

willemspie wrote:
Sun Dec 25, 2022 6:54 am
Yes there is another road between Khorog (in fact, Rushan) and Karakul, via the Bartang valley. Beware it is very remote with very little traffic, and sometimes landslides and flooding.
yeah, its what i was looking for; looks like its really empty for half way, and then after some small villages ( if going east to west ).
I think it's gonna be the route i am looking for to go back West :)
Will see when i get in Tajikistan, and see about generals conditions ! But sounds like a good adventure
0 x

momo-ende

Post by momo-ende »

We plan to cycle the Pamir in August/September 2023 from Dushnabe and back via the Bartang Valley. Are there any restrictions/particular dangers at the moment ? How is the weather in the Bartang during that time? I've read that it is dangerous if it rains.
0 x

SalSalFR

Post by SalSalFR »

I guess that it's the same as "everywhere" for the rain, as it's in the valley, fast flood might occurs at some parts, or river getting really high.
I guess you need to find a good weather windows to do the first 2 or 3 days, where it seems to have less villages and its more remote.
Well, it's what i am planning to do anyway :) Maybe we see each others on the road !
0 x