Cycling Pamir Highway - August/September 2022

All about Tajikistan. Expert: Pamirski, Christian77
couchpotato

Re: Cycling Pamir Highway - August/September 2022

Post by couchpotato »

The Tajik authority has blocked the internet in GBAO again.

https://www.asiaplustj.info/en/news/taj ... ous-region
1 x

couchpotato

Post by couchpotato »

Just email Green House hostel in Dushanbe. So far there is no restriction traveling to GBAO. But the internet isn't working over there now.
1 x

StephParis

Post by StephParis »

There are restrictions : as of today entry and exit to the region are cut off.
1 x

couchpotato

Post by couchpotato »

StephParis wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 11:24 am
There are restrictions : as of today entry and exit to the region are cut off.
Where do you get the information?

It's just super bad timing. I'm supposed to depart from Holland tomorrow. Now I don't know what to do. There is no way to contact my friend in Khorog. The only source I have is from Green House Hostel.
0 x

couchpotato

Post by couchpotato »

Internet is blocked. Phone line is still working in GBAO.
1 x

Christian77
Tajikistan expert
Tajikistan expert

Post by Christian77 »

All vehicles, including local people, were being stopped at the airport well outside of Khorugh and not being allowed to go further (once the demonstrations started). https://www.ozodi.org/a/31854961.html I'm sure this means that no foreigners will be getting past the first GBAO checkpoint near Kulob.

[Note: if you google translate that article it incorrectly says "militants" are stopping cars. It should be "soldiers" instead].
1 x

StephParis

Post by StephParis »

Activist on social media. I can't tell you you it's 100% reliable, and if it's not I'll delete everything, but here is what it says for today :

"In the city of Khorog, law enforcement forces prevented a women's march to the city center and dispersed the crowd with gunfire. Police have sent a convoy from Dushanbe to Khorog, which is blocked in the center of the Rushan district and does not allow troops to enter the regional center."

It looks pretty bad :roll:
2 x

couchpotato

Post by couchpotato »

StephParis wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 3:16 pm
Activist on social media. I can't tell you you it's 100% reliable, and if it's not I'll delete everything, but here is what it says for today :

"In the city of Khorog, law enforcement forces prevented a women's march to the city center and dispersed the crowd with gunfire. Police have sent a convoy from Dushanbe to Khorog, which is blocked in the center of the Rushan district and does not allow troops to enter the regional center."

It looks pretty bad :roll:
Thank you for the info.

I emailed Green House Hostel again just a few hours ago. They said shared taxi(jeep) still heading towards Khorog. They probably don't know all vehicles are stopped before Khorog.

I call my friend in Khorog. All he knows is there are loads of security in the city center. He stays inside unless absolutely has to go out.
Last edited by couchpotato on Tue May 17, 2022 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

StephParis

Post by StephParis »

Please keep us posted about your decision to depart or not and the situation on the ground. Fingers crossed for your travel mate!
0 x

Christian77
Tajikistan expert
Tajikistan expert

Post by Christian77 »

couchpotato wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 4:23 pm
StephParis wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 3:16 pm
I emailed Green House Hostel again just a few hours ago. They said shared taxi(jeep) still heading towards Khorog. They probably don't know all vehicles are stopped before Khorog.
Not only are vehicles being stopped outside of Khorugh, but locals have blocked the road to all traffic in Rushon (with an aim to stopping government reinforcements). Based on this I'm 99% sure that nobody will be getting past the Shurobod checkpoint after Kulob, especially not a foreign citizen.
1 x