Driving Pamir Highway without 4x4 drive

All about Tajikistan. Expert: Pamirski, Christian77
Garrian

Driving Pamir Highway without 4x4 drive

Post by Garrian »

Hello, we are planning road trip through central asia including pamir highway with 2 wheel drive car. Will that be problem?
0 x

couchpotato

Re: Driving Pamir Highway without 4x4 drive

Post by couchpotato »

Garrian wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:55 pm
Hello, we are planning road trip through central asia including pamir highway with 2 wheel drive car. Will that be problem?
Many locals travelling between villages are using old and very old 2WD sedans. Although there are some 10-12% uphill sessions in the more remote areas, like after Murghab.

More important is the car suspension can handle all the potholes and bumps. Be warned, those potholes are huge.
1 x

murg

Post by murg »

As long as you stay in the M41 you should be fine.

If you intend to drive the southern route/Wakhan:
ground clearance, good tires etc. are important.

And yes... Suspension! Important!
1 x
Riding the globe (well, at least some parts)
living in Germany

AreWeThereYet?

Post by AreWeThereYet? »

I saw a guy driving around on a VW Golf Mark I, just outside Karakul in Tajikistan. It definitely can be done. The tricky bit if it's too snowy (we got some snow in late May/early June over the higher passes) and of course land clearance. After Murghab we hit some proper craters.

I'd go with a simple-ish car, perhaps not an ultra-modern model that requires a PhD in computer science to be fixed. As for brands, I'd say that VWs, Opels and Japanese ones are those I saw the most of over there. Plus a total hero with a former Italian Postal Service Panda Van, but that was in Uzbekistan.
0 x
www.awtytravels.com
Stories from the road.

Nazrulo

Post by Nazrulo »

No, not at all. People are driving all sorts of vehicles (mostly 2 wheel drives including Chinees mini van even during winter here in the Pamirs). But for driving certain areas such as the Bartang valley, Zorkul areas (where you need to cross small rivers with your vehicle) 4x4 will perform a better job for you.
0 x