Tajikistan OVIR registration for visa-free or long-term visas Q&A

The place for all visa questions and embassy reports. Expert: Crazydre
Forum rules
Before asking a visa question, make sure you have read the relevant visa article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/visa/

Before submitting an embassy report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Relevant topics are linked to from the visa pages on the site.

Thank you!
Christian77
Tajikistan expert
Tajikistan expert

Re: Tajikistan visa-free entry registration

Post by Christian77 »

There is currently only a single anecdote on these forums about registration. He said he needed two passport sized photos and the fee was "about $25." I suppose you will have to figure everything else in-person at OVIR.

At the moment, nobody has provided a follow up, such as "Do they check for registration when you leave Tajikistan?" "Is registration actually required?" (because the only source for this being required is the US Embassy).

I suggest posting the same inquiry on the "Dushanbe Expats" Facebook page...
1 x

nickd

Post by nickd »

I'm russian citizen, so I always entered Tajikistan visa free, and then had to register after 10 days. Fee paid in the bank about 100/150 somoni shorter/longer term. Shorter term I meansl under 3 months (or 6 months, don't remember clearly).
And it was useful: checked sometimes on the road checkpoints or at the border, sometimes at hostels. Registration was necessary for me to get bank card or SIM card. Maybe even for issuing Pamir permit they checked it.
Much better is a registration with address than tourists registration, at least for bank card or SIM card they need to enter your address from registration
1 x

thijsbroekkamp

Post by thijsbroekkamp »

Some more experiences by now, is it really necessary?
0 x

Li Via

Post by Li Via »

We (swiss and austrian) entered TJ visa free on the 10th of may, stayed there about 3 weeks, didn’t do any registration. Was not a problem at all. Nobody asked about it by leaving TJ again (over land to UZ).

best wishes
Livia
0 x

Christian77
Tajikistan expert
Tajikistan expert

Post by Christian77 »

As a counter to the anecdote above, a tourist was yesterday fined over 800 Somoni for not registering in time. He was caught and fined in Dushanbe, not at the border.
0 x

Nazrulo

Post by Nazrulo »

Hello there,
Some updates on the registration process under the visa free regime.
Please note that registration is required within 10 days of arrival in TJ if you are entering with a visa-free regime announced earlier this year (Jan, 1st, 2022).
http://www.tajembassy.org.uk/about/news ... -countries

The registration fee is 160 TJS (at the moment 1USD is equal to 9,60 TJS) which is paid at Amonatbank branches (it is only paid at this bank, no other bank will accept the payment) in Dushanbe or Khorog and the receipt is then taken along with your passport to the OVIR office for registration. It is not a matter of preference or (optional) but one of the requirements, and failing to do so will follow a fine of 10 times more than the actual registration cost.
2 x

borekj

Post by borekj »

Hello to all!
We are planning to go to Tajikistan visa-free for 8 days and we are little bit confused about registration at OVIR. For example, Czech MFA says that for stays shorten than 10 days you don't have to register, most of other sites only says you are obliged to register within 10 days, however nobody mention if you leave the country within the time period. Has anyone have any official info about that?

Thanks in advance
0 x

Nazrulo

Post by Nazrulo »

borekj wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:54 pm
Hello to all!
We are planning to go to Tajikistan visa-free for 8 days and we are little bit confused about registration at OVIR. For example, Czech MFA says that for stays shorten than 10 days you don't have to register, most of other sites only says you are obliged to register within 10 days, however nobody mention if you leave the country within the time period. Has anyone have any official info about that?

Thanks in advance
Hello there
If you stay does not exceeds 10 working days in the country, you don't have to register yourselves with the OVIR. This is confirmed at the OVIR office when asked by one of our guests earlier. Working days in Tajikistan are counted from Monday to Saturday (for most of the government offices) excluding any public holiday.
0 x

jvjjjvvv

Post by jvjjjvvv »

Hi. I will (re)enter Tajikistan tomorrow, visa-free, only to leave by plane the day after. I guess it's not necessary to register for this one-day stay, and even if I wanted I am not sure that I could (I will arrive to Dushanbe on Saturday evening), but does anyone have experience with such short stays?

I can see that the post previous to mine says that it won't be necessary to register, but with the guidelines being so vague, I wanted to get some more info or to know about experiences from people. When I left Tajikistan the first time I asked a border guard and he actually said that I need to register (maybe he just didn't know).

Does anyone have experience with leaving the country after a short stay, having no registration?
0 x

Nazrulo

Post by Nazrulo »

jvjjjvvv wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:09 am
Hi. I will (re)enter Tajikistan tomorrow, visa-free, only to leave by plane the day after. I guess it's not necessary to register for this one-day stay, and even if I wanted I am not sure that I could (I will arrive to Dushanbe on Saturday evening), but does anyone have experience with such short stays?

I can see that the post previous to mine says that it won't be necessary to register, but with the guidelines being so vague, I wanted to get some more info or to know about experiences from people. When I left Tajikistan the first time I asked a border guard and he actually said that I need to register (maybe he just didn't know).

Does anyone have experience with leaving the country after a short stay, having no registration?
Hello there
This is to confirm that you don't need to register with the OVIR office if you are not staying in the country longer than 10 working days (Sunday and Public holidays are not not counted).

best wishes
Nazrulo
2 x