Photography in Tajikistan

All about Tajikistan. Expert: Pamirski, Christian77
Rogue_odyssey

Photography in Tajikistan

Post by Rogue_odyssey »

Hi everyone, this is my first post here on Caravanistan.

I’m planning on visiting Tajikistan this Aug-Sept. I haven’t made any plans yet but I’ll be traveling solo through the country. My primary interest is in photographing people that define the culture of the country.

Can anyone recommend particular places that’s I should consider? Also if anyone knows of guides/fixers in these areas I would appreciate that information too.

Thanks
1 x

Kalpazan

Re: Photography in Tajikistan

Post by Kalpazan »

In GBAO region it is probably best to follow route through Wakhan corridor and then up to Murghab. The idea to use a guide is very good especially if you are not speaking any local language. They shall arrange for you to visit and take pictures of most different ethnic groups. Unfortunately I can't help much with this because I was traveling alone there.

People in Tajikistan generally do like to be photographed. However, it is best practice to first ask for permission especially when intending to take photo of kids and/or women. Also, make sure you carry extra batteries for your camera with you. Cold weather up there can severely diminish their capacity and there is not always possibility to recharge.
1 x

Rogue_odyssey

Post by Rogue_odyssey »

Kalpazan wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 5:10 am
In GBAO region it is probably best to follow route through Wakhan corridor and then up to Murghab. The idea to use a guide is very good especially if you are not speaking any local language. They shall arrange for you to visit and take pictures of most different ethnic groups. Unfortunately I can't help much with this because I was traveling alone there.

People in Tajikistan generally do like to be photographed. However, it is best practice to first ask for permission especially when intending to take photo of kids and/or women. Also, make sure you carry extra batteries for your camera with you. Cold weather up there can severely diminish their capacity and there is not always possibility to recharge.
Thank you for your insight, you brought up some good points. Would you recommend allocating more time to the GBAO region than other parts of Tajikistan?
0 x

Kalpazan

Post by Kalpazan »

I have only travelled through GBAO region so far. Travelling in mountains takes time so you will likely not be able to cover much of the country in a month. It all depends on your plan - take only quick portraits or document their daily routine as well.
1 x

Rogue_odyssey

Post by Rogue_odyssey »

Kalpazan wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 4:09 pm
I have only travelled through GBAO region so far. Travelling in mountains takes time so you will likely not be able to cover much of the country in a month. It all depends on your plan - take only quick portraits or document their daily routine as well.
That’s another good point, I’ll need to consider how much time it takes to travel around this mountainous country. Thank you again, this will help me with my planning.
0 x

Rogue_odyssey

Post by Rogue_odyssey »

Given the current situation in the GBAO region, should I be considering a different destination for my August time frame? I'm not very familiar with the past problems in the region so I don't know if these things are long lasting. Any insight would be appreciated...Thanks
0 x

elhabibi

Post by elhabibi »

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=12985

Unfortunately, it seems that things are not going too well right now.
0 x

Rogue_odyssey

Post by Rogue_odyssey »

elhabibi wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 11:48 am
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=12985

Unfortunately, it seems that things are not going too well right now.
I appreciate the reply, I’m following the other thread closely. I would imagine they wouldn’t be too happy seeing me with a backpack full of photography gear in the GBAO…if I could even get in.
0 x