GBAO/Pamirs are now closed to travelers

All about Tajikistan. Expert: Pamirski, Christian77
StephParis

Re: GBAO/Pamirs are now closed to travelers

Post by StephParis »

Just read on Twitter from a serious Tajik-American journalist : "Another two informal local leaders were killed by security forces in Khorog, Gorno-Badakhshan today."
Situation is far from calming down. If you add the closed border with Kirghizistan... It has no sense for me cycling in Tajikistan this summer. Fingers crossed for next year. All the best for Pamiri people, I really miss this place.
3 x

fg_fita

Post by fg_fita »

Hi. I just want to share a message that a Pamir guide gave to me these days when I ask him about the situation:

"Kyrgyzstan-Tajikistan border is still closed, even for international travelers, but you can use the Uzbekistan border to visit Tajikistan or use Dushanbe airport.
You can obtain a GBAO permit online or it can be gained in Dushanbe or Khorog once you are there. It is one-minute deal to get the permit and ~30$ per person.

Also FYI, there is still unstable situation in GBAO, we were told that there is shoot-out in Khorog town in GBAO center."
0 x

karcz

Post by karcz »

fg_fita wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:02 pm
Hi. I just want to share a message that a Pamir guide gave to me these days when I ask him about the situation:

"Kyrgyzstan-Tajikistan border is still closed, even for international travelers, but you can use the Uzbekistan border to visit Tajikistan or use Dushanbe airport.
You can obtain a GBAO permit online or it can be gained in Dushanbe or Khorog once you are there. It is one-minute deal to get the permit and ~30$ per person.

Also FYI, there is still unstable situation in GBAO, we were told that there is shoot-out in Khorog town in GBAO center."
How can I get GBAO permit online? Can you send me a link?
0 x

jvjjjvvv

Post by jvjjjvvv »

karcz wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:28 pm
How can I get GBAO permit online? Can you send me a link?
If I am not wrong, this is where you can process the whole thing: https://www.evisa.tj/index.evisa.html

Although some people are saying that if you request permission to enter the GBAO in your e-visa application, the whole thing will likely get rejected.
0 x

tgeo

Post by tgeo »

jvjjjvvv wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:33 am
If I am not wrong, this is where you can process the whole thing: https://www.evisa.tj/index.evisa.html
It doesn't seem to have the option to add a GBAO permit to your application at this point, unless I am missing something.
0 x

Falco

Post by Falco »

My e-visa with the GBAO permit just gut rejected. Applied June 6th.
0 x

StephParis

Post by StephParis »

It's written somewhere in this forum to NOT apply to GBAO permit on line : apply to Tajikistan visa only and ask for GBAO permit once there.
0 x

Laylarni

Post by Laylarni »

Falco wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:05 pm
My e-visa with the GBAO permit just gut rejected. Applied June 6th.
[Do you need a multiple entry visa for Tajikistan if you plan on entering Afghanistan?]
0 x

thijsbroekkamp

Post by thijsbroekkamp »

Just returned from a trip to Pamirs to visit my Pamiri friends. Applying for GBAO permit at OIVR office in Dushanbe is no problem. It is valid for 10 days.
Make a photocopy of your permit and passport. Apparently it is required, as we found out at the checkpoint at Anderob although the guy didn't make a problem of it that we did not have that.

No problems in GBAO, most of the extra soldiers returned to Dushanbe. Pamiris are very happy to see visitors again after the dark days of the past month. If you are staying with people consider taking something for them or leave some money (put it under pillow or plate to save the embaressement of them wanting to refuse the money) because of their difficulties.

Something else to note, since the situation across the river changed with the taliban takeover, it is no longer allowed to walk along the border (meaning standing/walking next to the river) and taking pictures of the border from there.
3 x

danto1

Post by danto1 »

thijsbroekkamp wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:58 am
Something else to note, since the situation across the river changed with the taliban takeover, it is no longer allowed to walk along the border (meaning standing/walking n ho ext to the river) and taking pictures of the border from there.
so you are just allowed to be on the road? how about cyclists taking a break?
thank you!
0 x