GBAO/Pamirs are now closed to travelers

All about Tajikistan. Expert: Pamirski, Christian77
jokalt

Re: GBAO/Pamirs are now closed to travelers

Post by jokalt »

Mobile phone network is functioning. Internet remains turned off. Our staff negotiated to depart from GBAO on Friday. Road blocks and check-points are still in place. It is not advisable for tourists to travel to the area. There is still substantial risk that the road might be blocked again.
2 x

couchpotato

Post by couchpotato »

Yes, phone line is working again. Just make a call to my friend in Khorog.
0 x

StephParis

Post by StephParis »

Our staff negotiated to depart from GBAO on Friday.
Meaning you've been stuck there during a few days ?
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Post by bwv812 »

According to witnesses, several hundred residents of Khorog, the capital of GBAO, gathered at the weekend to call for the dismissal of the governor and the release of demonstrators arrested for participation in a protest in November, when three men were killed and 17 wounded by security forces.

Protests continued until Wednesday when, as people marched to the main square in Khorog, security forces blocked the road and allegedly started firing rubber bullets, stun grenades and teargas at the protesters, killing at least 25 people.
https://www.theguardian.com/global-deve ... n-protests
1 x

ericlo729

Post by ericlo729 »

We booked a car via VisitAlay and they mentioned that

"The social unrest has stopped, and everything is good and safe right now. Two days ago they have also sent two groups to Pamir, everything is fine and the roads are open."

Is there any positive expereince can share here?
0 x

Christian77
Tajikistan expert
Tajikistan expert

Post by Christian77 »

Everything is not "fine." Government troops killed 1% of the population of Vomar/Rushon and the surrounding villages, and have detained 3-4 times as many, as well as having disappeared up to 20 Pamiri men travelling from Dushanbe. This round of violence began because occupying government law enforcement wanted sexual access to local women and girls.

The government security forces and media are now blaming the West for this violence, and have extracted forced confessions from various people. That puts most Caravanistan readers in the blame category.

I'm sure tour companies and those in the tourism business wants a return to normality, but it's not "fine" in the sense that local are OK or that everything travel-related will be predictable/guaranteed. For example, some tour companies pay money or have access to government contacts, some don't. And what a well-established tour company can do is not always the same as what a person travelling independently can do. Nothing is guaranteed this year.

The smiles and hospitality are part of the culture, but don't be fooled. The local people are in pain.
3 x

cjs

Post by cjs »

I'm heading to Tajikistan in early July. I'm probably going to skip the GBAO even though it's open, because of the situation there. I'll just spend more time trekking in the Fann.
0 x

Kalpazan

Post by Kalpazan »

Don't know about you, but I will not be happy at all if government is brutally shooting locals, while at the same time tourists are walking around taking pictures and enjoying their holiday.
0 x

OWNER

Post by OWNER »

I was there last week. Local residents were not allowed in during the day, then the checkpoint was opened. Foreigners are not allowed. The Consulate of Tajikistan has stopped issuing permission to visit GBAO. The story about it is being prepared here.
The checkpoint I'm talking about is located in this place, on the Vanch River.
3 x

Li Via

Post by Li Via »

Hi,

we are in Dushanbe and here you still get a GBAO-Permit at the OVIR office.

best regards
Livia
1 x