Alauddin - Moghiyon hike logistics

All about Tajikistan. Expert: Pamirski, Christian77
cjs

Alauddin - Moghiyon hike logistics

Post by cjs »

In mid-July, I plan to hike from Alauddin to Moghiyon in a week, staying overnight at Alauddin Lake - Kulikalon Lake - Zimtud - Pushtikul Lake - Tavasang - Marguzor (the village between the 6th and 7th lakes) - Rogich - Moghiyon. I would like to know where along the route I can eat at a restaurant (including at homestays) or resupply. By resupply, I mean to buy simple food like cereal bars or trail mix to go (nothing fancy required).

Based on my understanding, there are restaurants at Alauddin Lake and Zimtud, and possibly also at Marguzor and Rogich. There are restaurants at Artuch Alplager and Marguzor Turbaza, but these are a bit out of the way. I'm not sure about resupply: I guess Zimtud is the most promising option? Thanks.
0 x

Christian77
Tajikistan expert
Tajikistan expert

Re: Alauddin - Moghiyon hike logistics

Post by Christian77 »

Cereal bars and trail mix don’t exist in this area. You are more likely to find snickers and Russian ramen noodles. The only regular restaurant is at Artuch alplager. Sometimes you can buy a meal at Alauddin and Kulisiyoh lake in the high season. But one report of extortion prices at Kulisiyoh ($5 lepyoshka). Artuch Alplager has a small shop with food targeted to trekkers (but no vegan nut bars or weird foreigner stuff). Zimtud and Marghuzor have small village shops. Probably Ghazza too. Dinner and breakfast at all home stays in Guytan, Zimtud, Moghiyon. I’ve never been to Roghich, so I can’t say anything about there. You’ll need to find someone with new info on the new Marghuzor turbaza. It was unmanned when I was there three years ago (with a sign and a phone number to call).
3 x

cjs

Post by cjs »

Thanks! Snickers and Russian ramen noodles will do the trick!
0 x

elhabibi

Post by elhabibi »

Hi Cjs,

This article might also provide you with some good info about trekking in that area: https://www.goingthewholehogg.com/fann- ... oggle-id-2
2 x

Christian77
Tajikistan expert
Tajikistan expert

Post by Christian77 »

Just returned from a hike that took me through Marghuzor. Ramen noodles, yes. Snickers, no. Just a lot of candy, sweets and soda. They’re all candy shops (with other random food that you won’t want or need). And they are just a door in a small building. No signs. Usually closed, but one had a phone number posted. I bought some Fanta imitator. The guy charged the local price. Friendly people.

The Marghuzor turbaza (the one on the north end of Marghuzor lake) had some woman walking around doing chores, so it’s not abandoned.

If you hike down to Padrud and over the pass to Zindovud and Moghiyon, then you can stay at the home stay in Padrud. The manager speaks some English and he can help you with food purchases. I just did the pass (Moghiyon to Padrud in one day).
2 x

cjs

Post by cjs »

Christian77 wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:17 pm
Just returned from a hike that took me through Marghuzor. Ramen noodles, yes. Snickers, no. Just a lot of candy, sweets and soda. They’re all candy shops (with other random food that you won’t want or need). And they are just a door in a small building. No signs. Usually closed, but one had a phone number posted. I bought some Fanta imitator. The guy charged the local price. Friendly people.

The Marghuzor turbaza (the one on the north end of Marghuzor lake) had some woman walking around doing chores, so it’s not abandoned.

If you hike down to Padrud and over the pass to Zindovud and Moghiyon, then you can stay at the home stay in Padrud. The manager speaks some English and he can help you with food purchases. I just did the pass (Moghiyon to Padrud in one day).
Thanks a lot for the update. Taking the Zindovud Pass instead of the Komichora pass is something to think about for sure. How are the trail conditions like on Zindovud Pass, and how long did it take? It seems like a really long day to get from Moghiyon to Padrud.
0 x

Christian77
Tajikistan expert
Tajikistan expert

Post by Christian77 »

It took 15 hours with a three hour detour. If it was the end of the season and I didn’t have a heavy load, I could do it in 10. A good athlete going ultralight could casually do it in 8.

The pass is actually not named Zindovud, rather it is “the pass to Zindovud” as people in Padrud call it. In Zindovud I was told it is “Tarkh Pass.” The Padrud side is very steep and you need lots of water.

Komichora pass is probably easier, but less interesting.
2 x