Easiest way to get to Uzbekistan from Murghab

All about Tajikistan. Expert: Pamirski, Christian77
thaitraveller

Easiest way to get to Uzbekistan from Murghab

Post by thaitraveller »

Initially, I planned to visit the Pamir Highways and cross from Tajikistan to Kyrgyzstan. My trip in Central Asia starts in Uzbekistan and I have to get back there to catch the return flight. At first, I thought the border between Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan was open. So I expected to get back to Uzbekistan from Kyrgyzstan (Osh-Andijan border). However, as the border is closed and my Pamir Highways journey has to end in Murghab (the furthest Tajik town I can go), does anyone know what the best way to get back to Tashkent from there is?

Thanks in advance
0 x

willemspie

Re: Easiest way to get to Uzbekistan from Murghab

Post by willemspie »

Easy maybe but extremely long. You'll need to return to Dushanbe. The shortest way afterwards is through Penjikent and Samarcand.
0 x

trikolka

Post by trikolka »

the shortest way is to return to Dushanbe first. The alternative road via Kulab and southern Uzbekistan is more than 300 km longer.

There are marshrutkas between Dushanbe and Khudjand, through Shakhristan and Anzob passes (in fact now, tunnels, at 2700 m altitude). Then, border crossing at Buston / Oybek ; from there, about 110 km left to Tashkent.

Another option is to go from Dushanbe to Pendjikent ; then border crossing, about 70 km to Samarqand ; then marshrutka or train to Tashkent. About 90 km longer, but you avoid Shakhristan pass, so maybe a bit shorter in time.

I can't tell you precisely how long it will last, as I went by bike. Roughly, I would say 3 long days (at least?) from Murgab to Tashkent.
0 x
http://blog.zamir.fr : Siberia, Caucasus, Kazakhstan
http://blog.khushomaded.fr : cycling Silk Road from Iran to Kyrgyzstan

terrymy

Post by terrymy »

trikolka wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 3:29 pm
the shortest way is to return to Dushanbe first. The alternative road via Kulab and southern Uzbekistan is more than 300 km longer.

There are marshrutkas between Dushanbe and Khudjand, through Shakhristan and Anzob passes (in fact now, tunnels, at 2700 m altitude). Then, border crossing at Buston / Oybek ; from there, about 110 km left to Tashkent.

Another option is to go from Dushanbe to Pendjikent ; then border crossing, about 70 km to Samarqand ; then marshrutka or train to Tashkent. About 90 km longer, but you avoid Shakhristan pass, so maybe a bit shorter in time.

I can't tell you precisely how long it will last, as I went by bike. Roughly, I would say 3 long days (at least?) from Murgab to Tashkent.
Had the similar question, thank you for the reply. I am interested in how it was to ride by bike as you mentioned. Should I take it with me or it would be more convinient to rent it for several days? What app did you use in these countries to build your route? Thank you!
0 x

trikolka

Post by trikolka »

I would not advice bike rental in Tadjikistan or Uzbekistan : it might be difficult to find good bikes equipped for carrying camping gear, if this is what you plan to do for several days. I had my bike : I either travelled several months by bike along Silk Road, or took my bike as extra luggage by plane when I was there for only 3 to 5 weeks.

How was it to ride by bike ? Well, I like travelling by bike anyway, so my answer may not be very objective. Avoid main transit roads when possible, because of traffic, including drivers not so used to share roads with bikes (they are not agressive, but they don't have the same notion of safety distances as we do...). As soon as you quit main roads, traffic is much lighter and I find it pleasant. Note however that road conditions can vary from fairly good to quite bad.

I used paper maps, and sometimes maps.me. Next time, I will probably use OpenStreetMaps and their option "cycloOSM" or Cyclable paths as they show level (altitude) lines
1 x
http://blog.zamir.fr : Siberia, Caucasus, Kazakhstan
http://blog.khushomaded.fr : cycling Silk Road from Iran to Kyrgyzstan

Falco

Post by Falco »

We cycled the Pamir highway from Duschanbe to Bukunkul via the Wakhan valley. We hitchhiked Back to Khorog (4-5h) with the bikes. The next day we too a shared Jeep to Duschanbe (14h). The next day to the border of Panjakent and then to Samarkand. We spent some days (without cycling) in Uzbekistan and then we took the train to andijan and crossed the border to Osh/Kyrgyzstan.
0 x