Bartang Valley Route

All about Tajikistan. Expert: Pamirski, Christian77
Dorothea

Bartang Valley road condition

Post by Dorothea »

Hi, has anybody been in the Bartang Valley recently? Any updates on conditions? Thanks!
0 x

RobinDM

Re: Bartang Valley

Post by RobinDM »

Hi

This I would like to know as well.
So any updates would be very welcome!

Greetings
Robin
0 x

Pamirski
Tajikistan expert
Tajikistan expert

Post by Pamirski »

2 x

olooov

Post by olooov »

Hello,
I'm Dorotheas partner and wanted to give an update on conditions in Bartang. We cycled through last week without major problems. There's lots of landslides, big rocks on the track etc, but possible on bicycle and on motorcycle (we meet three motorcyclists and three bikers in valley). We also meet couple in a car but they had to return due to big rocks on the tracks, not possible to drive around some of them.
3 x
China to Europe by bike, 13000km.com

GoingAroundPlaces

Re: Bartang Valley road condition

Post by GoingAroundPlaces »

Any other reports of conditions in the Bartang? I'm still hoping to travel the route within the week.
0 x

GoingAroundPlaces

Post by GoingAroundPlaces »

Update: just passed through the Bartang by bicycle and can confirm that it was completely navigable. It took me four days total from Karakul to Rushon, with two days on the plateau and two days in the valley. Stream crossings were never deeper than knee level on a 183cm person and currents weren't generally too swift. The river was over the road in many places from near Savnob down toward the bottom of the valley. Again, not deeper than knee level, but I met several motorcycles and jeeps on the last day who had turned back. All landslides had been cleared when I passed thru, but you get the sense that that could change at literally any time. The road surface varies widely, but should generally be regarded as the worst quality road you've ever seen. Clear-running freshwater was generally available all along the route. I also ran into a couple of men up on the edge of the plateau who claimed they were park rangers collecting fees, but absolutely nothing about them seemed official, they said things I knew to be untrue, and they mumbled about differing amounts of money being required. I gave them my details and told them I would pay at an official office in Khorog. No idea if they were legit, but they didn't act like it. In all other respects the Bartang was amazing - pack light and run low pressure in your tyres! =)
3 x

Arielmeislish

Bartang valley

Post by Arielmeislish »

Hi!
I am heading to the pamir now from Kyrgyzstan and want to know If someone did the bartang shortcut this year to ask him some questions
0 x

lecchu

Post by lecchu »

Hello
Any news about Bartang road (from Karakol lake to Rushan) condition? Is passable for 4x4 car?

Best regards
L.
0 x

Nmakepeace

Post by Nmakepeace »

Adding onto the request ;

Any cyclist been through the bartang this July (2018)? I am concerned the rivers will be super high due to the heavy snowpack this last winter :s. I may be totally wrong but my guess is their bad.
0 x

mazeno
Driving expert
Driving expert

Post by mazeno »

in 2017 bartang was drivable only in the second half of july.
if you drive the car into the valley from karakul to the kok-jar (tanimas) corner be prepared to drive back for hundreds meters as the huge stones can bar the road. and there is no place to turn the car on the corner for several hundred meters.
0 x
rgds -
mazeno