dushanbe ~ khorog 1day possible?

Post by jangtour »

hi guys
this is my plan in 2023 mid march

day1 dushanbe to khorog by public transport
day2 rest in khorog
day3 rent a taxi to visit springs and ischashim etc
day4 khorog to dushanbe by public transport

some article say can move by 1 day(take 15hr)

is it possible?
thx
0 x

Christian77
Tajikistan expert
Tajikistan expert

Re: dushanbe ~ khorog 1day possible?

Post by Christian77 »

It is possible, but not if you go to the car station to find a seat. That will probably not work out in a timely way (some people have waited 4-6 hours for the car to fill up). What you should do is stay at the Green House Hostel (they have private rooms if you want that) and ask them to reserve you a seat in a car to Khorog. In the very early morning you will be picked up, taken to the car station and put in a car that is fully booked and ready to go.

Also, if you have lots of money you can just book your own driver. But that'll be very expensive.

RE weather, mid-March is rainy, and some parts of the road do sometimes get temporarily shut for rockfall, flooding and mudslides. So you may get delayed.

For the reverse, pretty much every place in Khorog can get you a seat back to Dushanbe.

Unsolicited advice: this itinerary is 3 fulls days of driving out of 4. I hope you like road trips (with 2 of three driving days being in a cramped seat with possibly no view).
2 x

willemspie

Post by willemspie »

Personally I should not do this trip in such a hurry. Khorog is not so attractive. I should rather go for 4 days in the Fann mountains. But it is possible.
I did it three times by public transport, without any prior booking. Go to the 4WD station early morning, if you want you can stay overnight at the Sakho Hostel (not bad) located right at this station, OK it's not easy to choose which car. If there is no major problem in the way they will arrive in the evening (without any stop: 13 hours 30), possibly late but the road has improved a lot these last 10 years.
2 x

jangtour

Post by jangtour »

thanks guys
accepts ur opinion
i change my plan just 1day for dushanbe
and use other days for buhara and khiva in uz :)
0 x

willemspie

Post by willemspie »

Go to Iskanderkul lake and spend a night in a homestay in Sarytag !
0 x

jangtour

Post by jangtour »

iskanderkul is worth?
i finding now but it looks hard to go for just 1day:(
dushanbe~iskanderkul(stay 1 night)~samarkand is possible?
0 x

jangtour

Post by jangtour »

or penjikent also look nice for stay 1 night
small calm city
0 x

willemspie

Post by willemspie »

Yes you can go from Iskenderkul towards Pendjikent and Samarkand. But I rather recommend you to stay in homestays in mountain villages
0 x

missrussh

Post by missrussh »

Christian77 wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:30 pm
It is possible, but not if you go to the car station to find a seat. That will probably not work out in a timely way (some people have waited 4-6 hours for the car to fill up). What you should do is stay at the Green House Hostel (they have private rooms if you want that) and ask them to reserve you a seat in a car to Khorog. In the very early morning you will be picked up, taken to the car station and put in a car that is fully booked and ready to go.

(...)

For the reverse, pretty much every place in Khorog can get you a seat back to Dushanbe.
How much do people pay for these rides, Christian?

1. Assistance/pick up from the Green House Hostel
2. Dushanbe-Khorog, shared car
3. reverse direction

Sorry if these have been answered somewhere on the forum. I'm a newbie here and trying to absorb everything I'm reading.
1 x

Christian77
Tajikistan expert
Tajikistan expert

Post by Christian77 »

1, 2 and 3 were about $40 one direction (2019-2021 prices). But the prices fluctuate based on holidays, school schedules, gas/petrol prices, etc... For the return trip I stayed at Welcome Inn in Khorugh and the manager called a driver to arrange the trip to Dushanbe.
0 x