Tajikistan in may

All about Tajikistan. Expert: Pamirski, Christian77
rania.sh

Tajikistan in may

Post by rania.sh »

Hello, I will arrive in Tajikistan from Samarkand at the beginning of May. Do you have any advice on my itinerary because I know that the season is not ideal...

Pendjikent - Sarytag (iskanderkul) - Dushanbe - Qalai Khumb - khorog - ishkashim - alichur - murghab - karakul - bartang valley - Dushanbe - istarvachan - khodjent - Border crossing towards Ferghana towards Kyrgyzstan

I believe that Alaudin Lake will not be accessible yet? I would therefore like to fall back on iskanderkull, is it possible to walk around there?

Is it possible to do this route by public transport / hitchhiking (I am a woman who will travel alone)?

I wanted to see yak in Alichur, to go for a walk there, is it possible all year round?

For housing, will it be easy to find in early May? Are there any tips?

Last one, how many times do you think I need to do this itinerary?

1 x

willemspie

Re: Tajikistan in may

Post by willemspie »

Karakul Bartang Valley by hitch hiking is very optimistic ! Don't count on it.
0 x

rania.sh

Post by rania.sh »

OK I see, and for the other steps, do you think its possible?
0 x

willemspie

Post by willemspie »

Possible, yes, if you have time and you're flexible. I visited Tadjikistan twice by (fee) hitch hiking, public transport and hiking. You should carry camping gear and always some food supply.
I don't speak Russian, but you should learn a few words, at least understand where the driver is going, explain where you are going and discuss the fare.
0 x

Nazrulo

Post by Nazrulo »

Hello there
We just completed our first group tour starting from Khujand-Iskandarkul lake-Dushanbe-Kalai Khumb-Khorog-Bulunkul--Khorog (because the Khargushi pass still remains closed)-Vakhan Valley-rushon-Dushanbe.
Accommodations have slowly started operating.
You can see yaks everywhere in the eastern Pamirs including in Alichur.
Not sure about hitch hiking everywhere but public transport is an option if you have time and lots of patience 😊.
Travelling between the Karakul lake and Bartang is not possible in the beginning of May as the Kokjaar pass would remain closed by then and there is no public transport running between the two points.

As of know one cannot cross any border crossing points between Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan.

Hope this helps
Best
Nazrulo
4 x