Artuch Alpine lodge - hiking in late April

All about Tajikistan. Expert: Pamirski, Christian77
DSO_Canuck

Artuch Alpine lodge - hiking in late April

Post by DSO_Canuck »

Hello everyone,

Me and my girlfriend are in the final stages on planning our 18 day trip around Uzbekistan & Tajikistan. We are starting off with the regular route (Tashkent->Khiva->Bukhara->Samarkland), and then hoping to go overland to Panjakent and onward to Artuch to do some light hiking. We have both hiked in many places before (including Everest Base Camp and Patagonia) so we are fit and used to altitude hikes, but we will not be bringing any winter hiking gear with us this trip (ie: crampons, ice axes, heavy winter clothes, etc).

I have read about a lodge 7km from Artuch (https://artuch.tj/rates/) and we hope to spend 3 nights there in late April. I am wondering if anyone has done any hiking near this lodge at this time of year before? Will many of the trails be covered in snow? Will the lakes nearby still be frozen? I understand the weather varies each year, but since we will not be bringing winter hiking gear I am wondering if we can expect to do days trips from the lodge on the nearby trails this time of year.

Any info would be appreciated, thanks!

Darren
(Canada)
0 x

Christian77
Tajikistan expert
Tajikistan expert

Re: Artuch Alpine lodge - hiking in late April

Post by Christian77 »

You have a 50-50 chance of snow being on the ground around Kulikalon lakes. But more importantly, the Artuch camp/hotel will be closed for the season still.
0 x

willemspie

Post by willemspie »

I'm sure some homestay in Artuch will be open.
0 x

cat_hag

Post by cat_hag »

As Christian mentioned, Artuch won't be open for full service as later in the summer. But there should be a caretaker there who will open a room for you to sleep in - there's an outdoor toilet you can use, no shower, no heating, and there won't be any food so you'd need to take your own. If you want to check the caretaker is there beforehand to open up, you can get them on WhatsApp: +992 92 888 6888.

If you aren't open to roughing it in the Artuch hut, you could also use homestays in the Haftkul and do some day hikes there around the lakes. Perhaps you could start in Moghiyon (homestays here) and hike up to Rogich (homestays here) and then over the pass to the lakes if not too snowy and down to Padrud (homestays here too). That would also be very cool, though not as spectacular as Alauddin and Kulikalon. It's lower altitude; less river crossings, less likely to be snowy etc.
0 x

willemspie

Post by willemspie »

Also possible dayhikes from a homestay in Sarytag (Iskanderkul lake).
0 x

DSO_Canuck

Post by DSO_Canuck »

Thank you everyone for your feedback and suggestions. I will WApp the caretaker to see if the option is available to stay at the Alpine lodge this early in the season, if not, then I will consider the various other hiking/homestay options that several of you have suggested. It appears we will be able to hike somewhere in the area (perhaps at lower altitudes) so we can experience at least some of the lovely scenery in this area. I will let you know how it works out upon my return.
0 x

cat_hag

Post by cat_hag »

As far as I know the caretaker should be there. Just bear in mind that you'll need to take whatever food you want, plus means of cooking it; no shops and I don't know if he'd open the kitchen facilities for you or just one of the outdoor cabana rooms. But it's a super beautiful spot.
0 x

DSO_Canuck

Post by DSO_Canuck »

Hello everyone, over the past 10 days I have been in contact by email ([email protected]) with Eraj, who seems to be the caretaker. He told me that the lodge will be partially open when we arrive, meaning rooms can be rented and meals can be purchased, but at the moment they have limits on electricity. Does anyone know how they heat the lodge & rooms? Is it electric heat? Or do they use propane or something else? Just wondering in case there are still power restrictions by the time we arrive, since the altitude is around 2200 meters.

Had another question on departing Artuch.... we havent decided yet if we plan to go north to Khujand or south to Dushanbe. In either case, is it possible to join the Asian Express bus (going between Khujand to Dushanbe) in either Khushikat or Ayni? Are there several buses a day, or just one?

Thanks!
0 x

Christian77
Tajikistan expert
Tajikistan expert

Post by Christian77 »

I believe you are talking to the owners son/manager. I would guess that the actual caretaker when you arrive will be a different person (and probably won't speak English). I have no idea about electricity/heat, but I doubt they will heat the entire hotel just for one room of guests. Probably best to prepare for a cold night.

As for catching the bus in Khushekat, I find that the Asian Express drivers like money, and if they have an empty seat, you will have a ride. However, at that roundabout south of Khushekat you should be able to find a seat in a Khujand car very quickly. Just stand north of the roundabout on the road to Khujand and stick out your hand.
1 x

willemspie

Post by willemspie »

There are shared taxis at the Pendjikent station going to Dushanbe and to Khujand.
0 x