Haft Kul 2-day trip by public transport

All about Tajikistan. Expert: Pamirski, Christian77
squanderedhail

Haft Kul 2-day trip by public transport

Post by squanderedhail »

Hi,

I am planning to go to the Seven Lakes area at the end of June. I saw in the guide the location for the shared jeep to Padrud (lunch-time, 50TJS/person) but the OSM link doesn't work anymore. Is there an updated location in 2023? Has the prices and timing changed since then? Please share some updates. I saw some details for the return trip but is it still applicable? (e.g. leaving at 6am)

I am also planning to walk-in for an accommodation, would that be a good idea or should I book beforehand?

If daytrips are possible instead, how much would that cost me? (I would be willing to join a group)

Thanks.
0 x

Christian77
Tajikistan expert
Tajikistan expert

Re: Haft Kul 2-day trip by public transport

Post by Christian77 »

Hmm. Somebody is re-adding my deletions on OSM in Panjakent, and deleting my markers from last year. It’s so recent that you would only see the re-added taxi stand to Haftkul if you use the live version of OsmAnd.

The taxi stand (bus stop) to Haftkul that I deleted and which was re-added is 100 meters north of the bazaar. I was there, I speak Tajik. No drivers were waiting in the area in the morning or at lunch and nobody nearby knew what I was talking about. Someone directed me to a spot on the main road east of the bazaar. Indeed several drivers there started telling Haftkul at me. It is on the corner right next to where you see “Moghiyon Shared Taxis” on the map. Someone deleted the marker I made there.

Now, that edit over my edit may be correct. Maybe one or two drivers are actually behind the bazaar and the locals don’t know about it because they never need a taxi to Haftkul.

So maybe check out both spots. The guys yelling Haftkul may not actually be from that area, but rather just looking to make a decent fare from a tourist.

I think it’s safe to just show up at a guesthouse here without calling ahead. If a big group has booked out the place, the manager will find a place for you elsewhere.
2 x

willemspie

Post by willemspie »

When I was there, the public jeep only left in the afternoon.
0 x

squanderedhail

Post by squanderedhail »

willemspie wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:36 am
When I was there, the public jeep only left in the afternoon.
This is for the Seven Lakes bound jeep right?
0 x

willemspie

Post by willemspie »

Yes.
0 x

tobias77

Post by tobias77 »

I took the taxi two days ago, it left from a parking lot north of the bazaar (you walk down a street and then there a lot of cars to your right): https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/3 ... 67.6166900
Taxi left at around 3pm.

If you have the phone number of the driver (e.g. through your guesthouse), you can ask a taxi driver at the border to call him and arrange a meetup at the bazaar.
1 x

squanderedhail

Post by squanderedhail »

tobias77 wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:02 pm
I took the taxi two days ago, it left from a parking lot north of the bazaar (you walk down a street and then there a lot of cars to your right): https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/3 ... 67.6166900
Taxi left at around 3pm.

If you have the phone number of the driver (e.g. through your guesthouse), you can ask a taxi driver at the border to call him and arrange a meetup at the bazaar.
Thanks for the info! How much was the fare for 1 person?
0 x

tobias77

Post by tobias77 »

squanderedhail wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:07 am
tobias77 wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:02 pm
Taxi left at around 3pm.

Thanks for the info! How much was the fare for 1 person?
I paid 50
1 x

squanderedhail

Post by squanderedhail »

I just came back from this trip. Even 2 days was worth it.

Once I arrived at the bazaar (08:30), I looked for the shared transport and it is actually parked in the current "Transport to Haft Kul" pin on OSM. We ended up with Farhod, the driver. After packing some stuff and 2 passengers, we left the bazaar at 9:30 and were on our way but then we went straight ahead to Ghusar where we were dropped there and told us to wait there. We waited there for 3 hours and there were an additional 5 people who were at the back. The jeep also stopped to buy meat, construction materials, etc. I was dropped off in Nofin where I ended up staying for 2 days. No one checked my passport in Shing. I paid 60 TJS for the ride which was collected during refuelling in Chorbogh.

The next day, I hiked from 4th lake to the 6th lake and by chance, I met a couple who had a vehicle. I asked if they can take me to the jump-off point to the 7th lake and they agreed. We then hiked to the 7th lake together. It was honestly a fun experience.

Going back to Panjakent, I went with them (they were going to Iskanderkul) and alighted at Sujina. Once there, I took marshrutka to the bazaar where I continued my journey back to Samarkand.
1 x