Pamir highway mid-May

All about Tajikistan. Expert: Pamirski, Christian77
Kineky

Pamir highway mid-May

Post by Kineky »

Hi,

We are a norwegian couple who are planning to do the Papir highway from Osh to Korogh starting mid-May (around 12-16 May). We are also planning to do the detour down to wakhan valley, in total using about 7-8 days on the whole stretch.

Anyone else headed in that direction around the same time who would like to share transportation?

All the best,

Kine
0 x

bigbeka

Re: Pamir highway mid-May

Post by bigbeka »

Hi there Kine!
I'm so glad to read your message! I'm planning a trip on the Pamir Highway starting around 16-17th of May from Osh to Dushanbe!
What kind of trip are you guys planning? Hire a 4WD, take shared transport or hitchhike?
hope to hear from you soon.

Cheers,
Beck
0 x

Kineky

Post by Kineky »

Hi Beck,

Sorry about the late reply. We were planning on hiring a 4WD with driver for about 9-10 days from Osh to Khorug, with stops at sary mogul, karakul, Murghab, bulunkul, langar, ishkoshim, yamchung, Khorug (but this is a bit flexible, just don't want too much driving each day). But we think we would ideally like to leave a bit earlier - around 13th to be in ishkoshim for the Saturday market.

Are your plans somewhat similar or are you thinking of public transport/hitchhiking?
0 x

bigbeka

Post by bigbeka »

Hi there Kine,
Our routs match almost everywhere, so no issue with that. There are some suggested spots like hot springs and lakes, we can figure it out along the way. If I were alone I would share a taxi with other travelers or share 4WD either way works fine.
In terms of dates: I've spoke to a friend of mine from Korea (Sohee) who has just ended her Pamir highway trip at Osh, she says that Ishkoshim is closed now due to instabilities at the border. It has been so for 2/3 month now.
Now I'm in Astana, on Sunday I'll be in Almaty. According to my plan on the 11th I'll be in Bishkek, spending 5 days around Issi-Kul. I can reach Osh by the evening of 15th (if I rush) if not by morning flight on the 16th.
Hope you don't mind starting 2/3 days later.

Safe traveling,
Beck
Last edited by bigbeka on Fri Nov 03, 2023 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

@bigbeka: the forum does send post notifications unless you turn them off: check your spambox.
1 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

bigbeka

Post by bigbeka »

Thank you Steven, now it seems to work.
0 x

marekzs

Post by marekzs »

Hi Kine (&Beck)
We are 3 young English guys, currently in Karakol. We are planning to start a trip through the Pamirs with a detour to the Wakhan Valley on the 15th May from Osh. Originally we were going to do part of the journey by public transport, and hire a driver for the Wakhan Valley section, however if we could share costs with you guys across the whole route it would make things super convenient. Obviously we might need a slightly larger vehicle (I think lots of 4WDs are pretty large anyway), but we don't mind being squeezed into the back etc. Your route is pretty similar to the one we planned, but obviously we can confirm that closer to the time. Let us know if you're interested in teaming up.
Cheers,
Marek
0 x

bigbeka

Post by bigbeka »

Hi there Marek!
Nice to hear that you are traveling to The Pamirs too!
I'm leaving Almaty, KZ to Bishkek. Will stay in Bishkek and Issik-Kul until 15th and leave for Osh on the 15th or 16th early morning by air. Yes sharing a transport would be very nice, since our planned rout and dates are somewhat matching. I would love to meetup with you guys.
Hope to hear from you guys soon.

Cheers,
Beck
0 x

Kineky

Post by Kineky »

Hi again Marek and Beck,

We are already in Osh now, a bit earlier than expected, and are a bit rushed on time to reach our Turkmenistan visa dates, so will probabaly leave on the 13th.

If any of you will be able to leave from Osh then we would definitely be up for sharing. If not, maybe the 4 of you at least can share a car :)

Kine
0 x

marekzs

Post by marekzs »

Unfortunately we are planning to visit Arslanbob for the next few days so can't make it to Osh by the 13th. Good luck, hope you have a great trip.

Beck, I contacted a few travel agents regarding a driver, the best quote I got was $780 for 7 days, travelling Osh - Karakul - Murgab - Bulunkul - Langar - Yamchun - Ishkashim - Khorog. What are your thoughts?
0 x