Tajikistan E-visa Q&A

All about Tajikistan. Expert: Pamirski, Christian77
Christian77
Tajikistan expert
Tajikistan expert

Re: Tajikistan E-visa Q&A

Postby Christian77 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:16 am

I've now met more than a few people in Tashkent and Osh who have submitted applications and still not received visas after a full week of waiting. Three travellers here in Osh who planned to do the Pamir Highway just gave up and crossed into Uzbekistan after paying for the visas + the GBAO fee and waiting for 8 days with no results. Nobody knows what's going on.
0 x

Pearce_os

Postby Pearce_os » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:01 am

We are in the same boat, we applied on June 7th in Osh and went hiking and was expecting to have the Visa when we returned. We have emailed all the available addresses but have received no reply. Still no Visa... definitely starting to interfere with our timeline. Will wait till max 19th before having to skip Tajik and go to Uzbekistan. If anyone gets one granted please let us know how long it took
0 x

Hinta

Postby Hinta » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:26 am

I applied on June 3rd and got the approval on June 8th with a Dutch passport. I did check online a few times to see the status and the status did change a few times (from application received, to under review, etc). You might be able to check if they are doing anything by looking at that..
Good luck
0 x

arsenal901

Postby arsenal901 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:26 pm

Hinta wrote:I applied on June 3rd and got the approval on June 8th with a Dutch passport. I did check online a few times to see the status and the status did change a few times (from application received, to under review, etc). You might be able to check if they are doing anything by looking at that..
Good luck

My status has been "Validation in Progress" since Monday this week. It seems like usually turaround was between 24-48 hours and something has happened that is delaying it to about a week or more now.
0 x

morgs

Postby morgs » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:21 am

I can confirm I have just received my e-visa approval using an Australian passport. I applied on the 5th of June... so a ten day wait.

Best of luck to all.
1 x

cristiano

Postby cristiano » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:07 am

arsenal901 wrote:Is it not possible to purchase two e-visas before entering Tajikistan, and then using one of the visas on first entry and the second during the next? OR does the second application need to be made after your first entry into Tajikistan?

I would be interested to know if this is possible or not.

I heard from some friends that they did it this way last year: they showed the first evisa at the first entry, exited to Afghanistan and reentered the second time with the second evisa (with different dates than the first one).

For anybody planning a visit to Afghan Wakhan this looks like the best option, but I'm reading the following lines in the caravanistan visa page and would like to know more:
"However, do note that you cannot buy a second e-visa before you enter Tajikistan for the first time: border guards will stamp the newest visa, rendering the older e-visa invalid. This means that you will have to buy the second e-visa while you are already in Tajikistan. Print it, and hide it in your bag.

Note that this is against the rules, but that everyone, including tour operators who manage tours to the Afghan Wakhan, do it."

Simplifyig, the main questions are 2:
Is it possible to obtain 2 evisas valid (with different dates) before entering the first time? Yes or No?
If the answer to the first question is Yes, is it possible to show just the first evisa to the border guards at the first entry and hide the second one in the bag? Will they recognize this?
0 x

Christian77
Tajikistan expert
Tajikistan expert

Postby Christian77 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:09 am

Here's a hopeful update: A Tajik embassy employee told some frustrated applicants that the e-Visa office workers had been reassigned to work on other assignments leading up to when Putin and Xi were in Tajikistan for the CICA conference. They are now back at work as of this morning. Three people now report getting their e-visas today.

Anybody else getting theirs? I imagine they have quite a backlog to catch up on.
3 x

Bo_boi

Postby Bo_boi » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:57 am

Got mine today. I applied june 5.
0 x

blakep76

Postby blakep76 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:38 am

thanks for the update, christian. i was planning to apply for an e-visa this week, but may give it an extra week for the backlog to clear out.
0 x

morgs

Postby morgs » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:50 am

Thanks Christian for adding some clarity to this situation.
0 x