Bartang Valley Route

All about Tajikistan. Expert: Pamirski, Christian77
wayupdown

Re: Bartang Valley road condition

Post by wayupdown »

Nmakepeace wrote:Adding onto the request ;

Any cyclist been through the bartang this July (2018)? I am concerned the rivers will be super high due to the heavy snowpack this last winter :s. I may be totally wrong but my guess is their bad.
We cycled through, Karakol to Rushon, arrived Rushon July 12th after 6days. All rivers are ridable or easily passible. Road is rough on a touring setup but our friends with mountain bikes had a fun with it.

feel free to ask anything specific.
0 x

lecchu

Post by lecchu »

mazeno wrote:in 2017 bartang was drivable only in the second half of july.
if you drive the car into the valley from karakul to the kok-jar (tanimas) corner be prepared to drive back for hundreds meters as the huge stones can bar the road. and there is no place to turn the car on the corner for several hundred meters.
Mazeno, kok-jar that is this punkt: https://goo.gl/maps/GVdPW4J144v ?

Lecchu
0 x

lecchu

Post by lecchu »

@wayupdown
How do You rate the possibility of passing this route by a 4x4 car (motorcycles or mountain bikes are narrower)

Lecchu
0 x

mazeno
Driving expert
Driving expert

Post by mazeno »

kok-jar - yes.
ca 400m of level difference in the distance of 300m.
and there is no rating for kok-jar - it is passable for the car or not (1 or 0).

bartang rating - it can change every day depending on weather. during late summer the weather is more stabil than during late spring and early summer. but e.g. i remember late august 2014 - some sideriverbeds in upper bartang (between gudara nad kok-jar) where almost impossible (very hard) to cross - and the same places where easily passable some days earlier. and last august (2017) these places where very easy. and there are some places in lower bartang that may be flooded by the river (e.g. basid, darzom, razuj).
0 x
rgds -
mazeno

bvdbilt

update on Bartang valley road conditions (Tajikistan)

Post by bvdbilt »

Hello
Any news about Bartang Valley road (from Karakol lake to Rushan) condition? Is passable for 4x4 car? Planning to go in the beginning of Sept 2019, driving a Toyota LC. If doable , how may days should it take?

Thank u!
0 x

Maciej87

Post by Maciej87 »

Any news regardin bartang road condition? I want to go there next week. Passable for bicycle?
0 x

sank

Post by sank »

hello,

I was stuck in the bartang for 4 nights, About 40 km out of Rushon, they eventually started clearing the landslide. But didn't do the blasting of the rest of the landslide that is waiting to happen. so might block the road again. Cyclist can usually walk over if they you have the nerve for it. I saw cattle being walked across the landline. motorcycles and cars like I have have to wait it out

I crossed the landslide area when I entered, (cleared just hours before) I wasn't smart enough to drive out the same day as next morning there was another landslide that left me stuck there for an extra 4 nights.
1 x

Maciej87

Post by Maciej87 »

Thank you. I want to cycle. And water level?
0 x

varuna

Re: Bartang Valley road condition 2020 ?

Post by varuna »

Hello guys and girls around here
Her is the matter :
Both weare going to ride to Stans on himalaya's from France . Mostlly through Eastern EU, Ukrainia, Russia, Kazakstan, so we should be at the upper side of the valley end of june .
A moped rode it at this period in 2019 .
Later for us will be really too hot on the way back ( plus other matters) . Surely we will take advice from other travellers .
But a good advice is always useful
0 x

Rogue_odyssey

Bartang Valley Route

Post by Rogue_odyssey »

There are two routes along my planned journey that I’m considering taking; Kulob - Qalai-Khumb / Rushon - Karakul.

My understanding is that the Bartang valley route is rough and prone to closures due to landslides. Is it worth attempting or more than likely impassible by 4x4?

Are there any issues with the route from Kulob - Qalai-Khumb I should be aware of?
0 x