Change kyrgyz soms in Tajikistan ?

All about Tajikistan. Expert: Pamirski, Christian77
aboukamos

Change kyrgyz soms in Tajikistan ?

Post by aboukamos »

Hi everybody,
I searched for a definitive answer to my question but couldn't find it, so here it is :
I've got quite a lot of Kyrgyz soms I'd like to change in Tajikistan. Is it possible to exchange it to tajik somoni or USD somewhere in the country ? I'm guessing it's not gonna be easy, but maybe in' Dushanbe ?
If anybody knows a place, thanks for the answer ! And also, if anyone heading to Kyrgystan wants to change his somoni or usd for Kyrgyz soms, i'm currently in Khorog and in a few days in Dushanbe, so let me know !
Kamal.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Change kyrgyz soms in Tajikistan ?

Post by steven »

Good question, I could not say. Let us know if you find a place. I think there should be someone in Dushanbe willing to change it.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Pamirski
Tajikistan expert
Tajikistan expert

Post by Pamirski »

We found Murghab to be useful to change money for Chinese Yuan (we had Yuan that we could not change in Kyrgyzstan), but should also be good for kyrgyz Som, as people of this region often do their shopping in Osh (in fact even shop owners from Alichur did this). In Khorog I would try it at the bazar.
1 x

aboukamos

Post by aboukamos »

Hi,

Thanks for the answer ! Actually, I found a few travelers in Khorog and in Dushanbe going on the other way and exchanged part of my KGS with them for dollars or somonis. With my remaining KGS, i went to a few banks in Dushanbe, and it seems like the only one who accepts to change KGS is "Amonatbank" (lots of offices in the city). I did the exchange near the green bazar, but the rate was not very good, so it's better to spend the KGS in Kirghizistan and/or change with other travelers if possible.
Kamal.
1 x