Cost Car hire in Pamir Highway

All about Tajikistan. Expert: Pamirski, Christian77
laurent_rio

Cost Car hire in Pamir Highway

Post by laurent_rio »

Hi ,

May i know how much is the average cost per day for Pamir-Wakhan car hire ?

Osh Guest House quote me for 5 days ride :

"This price is for per 4 WD car. You can share it up to 4 people. If we can collect 4 people on same departure date with you then the seat will 198 $.Normally we send 2-3 cars every week at least in a high season which starts from June. Even sometimes 4-5 cars a week. Of course this price when 4 people will be collected. If we collect 1 more passenger then you have a choice to share the cost between 3 travelers or wait 1 or 2 days to collect another traveler or just cancel your booking. If we cannot collect the enough travelers to share the cost then we can give back the full deposit. Are you ready to share the cost if there will be only 3 people in the car.? Then the price will be 264 usd each.

Sometimes even there will be 5-6 travelers show interest to share the car in one day. Then first 4 people who give deposit can share the car. Others need to wait other people to share for next dates."

It seems a bit expensive since i read it should be 100+20 USD for car+driver/day; so for 5 days = 600 USD and divide by 4 pax is about 120 USD , Osh GH quote about 198 USD

Do you think i can get better price by negotiating in Osh ? I will be arrive in Osh in 15 June

Thanks,

Rio
0 x

edblax

Re: Cost Car hire in Pamir Highway

Post by edblax »

Your division is incorrect - $600 would be $150 each for four people, so the difference is not quite as bad as you thought.

Have you seen this post - viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2401 ?
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Post by bwv812 »

There's no doubt that you can do things cheaper than Osh Guesthouse, but you also have to consider that they're basically finding travel partners for you, and that it's not always so easy to find people to share with you.
1 x
My 2012 overland trip from Tokyo to Istanbul: https://silkroadwanderings.blogspot.com

laurent_rio

Post by laurent_rio »

OK i check the distance for 5 days tour proposed by Osh GH is about 934 km,

If compared by this viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2401 ?
mean total cost = 0.7*934 + 15*5 = +- 730 usd vs 198*4 = 792 usd

Not really much different, consider i read that Osh GH charge 0.75 usd/km
0 x

AreWeThereYet?

Post by AreWeThereYet? »

The cost isn't that different from what I paid, in all honesty. You could try and see if there are marshrutkas to Murghab in the bazaar, but it won't be as good. When I've been there I got in touch with Sherali Bakhtaliev, Director of "Drivers' Association SAFAR" (www.pamir-drive.tj or [email protected] ). He provided a great driver, named Kudaibergen, whom I warmly recommend (BTW I don't have any relationship with any of the above guys so this is just an advice and not a marketing ploy!)
1 x
www.awtytravels.com
Stories from the road.

elrnas

Post by elrnas »

Hi laurent_rio,

I am planning also to travel the Pamir Highway starting from Osh and finishing in Dushambe.

I was estimating 5 days as well for the trip and would probably be starting on June 18th as I need to be in Dushambe on the 22nd at night (Flight).

I would be interested in sharing a ride with you if you'd like! :D
0 x