Anzob tunnel reports

All about Tajikistan. Expert: Pamirski, Christian77
roro

Anzob tunnel reports

Post by roro »

Hi,

I've heard there is an "infamous tunnel" on the road to Dushanbe.
Why it is infamous?
Thanks in advance.

RR.
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Re: Penjikent Border Crossing Reports

Post by bwv812 »

0 x

roro

Post by roro »

I see.... :(
Thanks for info.
RR.
0 x

bryanmkevan

Penjikent Border Crossing Reports

Post by bryanmkevan »

Penjikent is open for business on a bicycle. I did Samarakand to Dushanbe via Penjikent and Anzob. The border is very quiet, and I was quickly through in a half hour or so. The road from Penjikent to Dushanbe is in perfect condition through the Fann mountains, and Anzob tunnel is no longer as ridiculous as it used to be. I still wouldn't cycle it, because it's really dark and crazy long. But it's easy enough to hitch.

The road through Penjikent to Ayni has not seen many cyclists at all, or tourists out of cars for that matter, due to the border closure. It was a near constant stream of greetings and hellos. I'm assuming this will become a well-traveled road by bicycles, and I can't recommend it enough.

The most difficult section of this road was actually the descent. The ~35 tunnels after anzob are of varying length, and all are unlit. I didn't have a lamp I trusted, so I walked many either on the platform inside or the gravel path around the outside. They all struck me as very dangerous, so please make smart decisions if you are going to cycle through any of them. Again, with the border being open, I would anticipate this road being used quite a bit this season, and I just want to make sure everyone is safe.

Safe travels.
1 x
On the road, rolling slowly on my big wheel. https://bryanmkevan.bike/

chachisxelmundo

Post by chachisxelmundo »

We passed through the Anzob Tunnel the 13th of may in the direction of Dushanbe on bicycle. We asked a car to stay behind to protect us from crazy drivers. It was okay but it was still dangerous to be honest. The tunnel was lit half of the way and then nothing. So it's half of the tunnel which is really dangerous. Mostly because it's a bit downhill and the aspalt is bumpy. It was okay but it's not fun time for cyclists... And we did got out of it a bit darker! So it's better to cover your face before getting in there 😉. If you want more explanations you can contact us on face or insta: chachisxelmundo. Have a safe trip!
1 x

mazeno
Driving expert
Driving expert

Re: Anzob tunnel reports

Post by mazeno »

and don't panic.

some years ago it was really dangerous. when i was passing the tunnel in 2012 with some guys, one (working in a coal mine as an engineer) said: "it is like in a mine". i was driving by a 4x4 car with maximum speed of circa 10 kmph, including avoiding/crossing potholes 50cm deep and full of water, hearing roars multiplied by echo and breathing smog of rumbling trucks, seeing not much more that 10 meters in front of the car (because of smog).
and i saw a local driver changing the wheel...

when i was last passing it (in 2017) it was not the same tunnel. it was easy driving 50-60 kmph. no potholes, no water, flat, dry, tarmac, lights, ventilation, middle lines. so if your bike is lit and you wear a reflective vest it should be ok.
(anyway - remember that in highly developed countries bicycles are forbidden in almost all tunnels).

much worse are these short tunnels when you drive on a full sunny day, because if a car enters the tunnel a driver can see nothing for a second or two until his eyes get used to the darkness. and these 2 seconds makes about 30 meters while driving 50kmph. 30 long meters when a driver see nothing.
1 x
rgds -
mazeno

Lovetheworld

Post by Lovetheworld »

Okay we just took the tunnel and it was doable by car. Not so bad.
But still dont cycle it. And cyclists should have good lighting for the other small tunnels.

The climb from north to Anzob tunnel was however very steep at 10% and with very high outside temperatures it makes a lot of cars run a bit hotter, including ours. So pay attention to the temperature gauge.
1 x

murg

Post by murg »

We rode through the Tunnel yesterday by motorbike.
This topic is absolutely exaggerated (for cyclists IT IS a Challenge though)
The Tunnel is 5,4 km Long, first ~2 km illuminated.
Tarmac all the way, still no Ventilation but the air was ..OK.
Outside temp 18°C, inside 10°C.
No issues at all.

Road from Border - Dushanbe is the best Road since we left the EU.
A 10 km Stretch south of the Tunnel is a bit tough, but under construction. If you did it 'til Anzob overland from Europe you have nothing to fear.
Speed Limit 20km/h. We die about 50, once WE where overtaken by an suicidal Opel driver with at least 80.... and there was one broken down Car, other direction, that could have been better illuminated

About 35 km south there is sth. Like a toll Station. We were waved by a guard to Pass at the Side, so I have No clue how much to pay/ whats going on there. Cars Had to Stop.
This repeats 2 Times toll Dushanbe.
1 x
Riding the globe (well, at least some parts)
living in Germany

Susetterosso

Post by Susetterosso »

i crossed the tunnel on june 6 towards dushanbe. At the tunnel entrance there were 2 soldiers. I passed them quickly…and they seemed surprised that I didn't stop. I continued through the tunnel. Somewhat lit sometimes. Everything in a straight line except the last 50m. Good asphalt in general. Poor air quality (bicycle users beware).
0 x

BelindaJK101

Post by BelindaJK101 »

How is the tunnel in winter??
0 x