Tajikistan SIM card registration Q&A

All about Tajikistan. Expert: Pamirski, Christian77
adrianepps

Re: Registration for Sim card in Tajikistan

Post by adrianepps »

Hi All, update on this: I was unsuccessful in Dushanbe despite giving it my best effort. In Khorog, T-Cell shop gave me a SIM card with very little fuss. I had to wait about 15 minutes during which time, as I understand it, they were getting the ID of a local with which to register the SIM card. Didn't even want my passport. So with this experience, and also other posters saying how hassle-free it was getting a SIM card OUTSIDE of Dushanbe, my advice is to do just that - save yourself a day of wasted effort and enjoy Dushanbe instead!
2 x
Driving the world for a living - http://www.roarr.me

gruff.martin

Post by gruff.martin »

I was successful in getting a Megafon SIM card today in Dushanbe. Apparently the only company that gives SIM cards to foreigners. I went with a local as I speak no Tajik, and the process took about 5 minutes. A passport was needed, with 60 somoni for the cheapest package available for tourists. It included 450 free minutes and 1GB data for a month.
0 x

sheepbuttfat

Post by sheepbuttfat »

Fyi the communications ministry just announced that starting august 20th the cost of a sim-card will increase to 250 tjs...roughly 25 dollars.
2 x

dwbrace

Post by dwbrace »

Koen wrote:Megafon simcart you can get in murghab at the official store. Only need a passport.
Also in khorog in the official store it was possible. (I only got help with a recharge there)
Did the Megafon sim card get much reception along the Pamir Highway or Wakhan Valley? I've read mixed reports, but it sounds like coverage is very bad (mostly non-existent) there.
0 x

Venelin

Post by Venelin »

sheepbuttfat wrote:Fyi the communications ministry just announced that starting august 20th the cost of a sim-card will increase to 250 tjs...roughly 25 dollars.
I bought my SIM card on August 19 and my SIM card price was included in the offer, so I paid only 39 TJS for 1GB and some minutes. Maybe I was really lucky to get the last included SIM cards before the change :)

As for registration, the staff did ask me for the address in Tajikistan and I gave my hotel address. I said that I just arrived and I have not even passed at the hotel yet, and they did not ask me for registration papers. They only copied my passport and e-visa printout. Maybe this could be a good excuse for any traveler.

I did it in the Megafon office on the western side of the Rudaki street halfway between the Ayni square and the train station. It was even open on Sunday.
1 x

sheepbuttfat

Post by sheepbuttfat »

They changed the date for the spike in simcard prices to september 1st.
1 x

RemiBac

Post by RemiBac »

Hi, any updates about the price of simcard since 1st september ? Thx
0 x

thijsbroekkamp

Post by thijsbroekkamp »

When we left Tajikistan the end of august, locals told us it would be around 20 - 25 usd.
0 x

RemiBac

Post by RemiBac »

It's postponed to next year (Cf owner of GreenHouseHostel).
I bought a megafon simcard the 10th october for 10 TJS
1 x

TheVantasticBrice

Post by TheVantasticBrice »

Got one with Megaphone last week the price are still the same than before. I try to ask to the seller about these new law but she don't seem to know about this !
1 x