Anzob pass (not tunnel): open?

All about Tajikistan. Expert: Pamirski, Christian77
Lovetheworld

Anzob pass (not tunnel): open?

Post by Lovetheworld »

And how about the Anzob pass? Is it worth it and is it still open? I read contradicting stuff.
0 x

HvO

Old M34 open for cycling?

Post by HvO »

Hello,

Is it possible to cycle the old M34 (Margheb - Ziddi Kalon new M34).
On my map (digital/GPS open map) is written it's closed.

H.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Old M34 open for cycling?

Post by steven »

I assume this is the Tavildara pass? It is open.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

HvO

Re: Old M34 open for cycling?

Post by HvO »

Hello Steven.
No, I mean the 'old m34 road' which avoid the 'new m34' with the Anzob tunnel.
I mean the 'old m34' from Khujand to Dushanbe through the mountains but not using the anzob tunnel.
Do you know if this 'old road' is open?
Harold
0 x

Lovetheworld

Re: Anzob pass (not tunnel): open?

Post by Lovetheworld »

Hi Harold, I heard now that the pass is not open to cars but to bikers, and that it is hard.
As a cyclist you shouldnt ride the tunnel but find a solution there I think. I dont think it is worth to do the pass just to avoid the tunnel. If you hitch a ride you will notice you are through the tunnel in 6 minutes.
1 x

HvO

Post by HvO »

Just back from Tadjikistan and had a wonderfull time.
What about the Anzob pass.
We cycled the pass in two days from north to south and it is possible.
The road is not good altough we could cycle (sometimes we had to push the bikes).
There are rocks on the road. Bij motorbike it is also possible, but hard.
By car it's impossible.....

https://wijzijnfietsen.weebly.com

Harold
2 x

Josh Africa

Post by Josh Africa »

June 17, 2019
I walked the pass... the top was full of snow, so it was hard...then found a way down to the riverbed and from there anzop village... road is destroyed...not possible for cars...bicycles can do it somehow once the snow is melting...
J.A/ the walker
2 x

AmazingWorldBikeTour

Post by AmazingWorldBikeTour »

We just did the Anzob pass (Old M34) with fully loaded touring bicycles and can confirm that it is possible with bicycle and motorcycle. Can't tell if it would be possible with a 4x4. There where at least 2 places partially blocked by sizeable fallen rock chunks that would need to be removed.
We did it on our way to Dushanbe, to avoid the tunnel of death. Shortly after Takfon you don't take a right over the bridge, but instead continue straight towards the village of Anzob. Road conditions are quite bad instantly, with some terrible dusty bits early on. Stock up in Anzob, there is a last little shop at the end of the village, right before the bridge that sells bread and the usual sugary stuff. We suggest spending the night just a little higher than Anzob and start the main climb fresh very early in the morning. The road gets worse towards the pass and we had to push our bikes at least 50% of the time. Views are great all the way and we saw many people harvesting grass and greens from the village or herding sheep and cows. There is enough water, but bring a filter, because there is animals pooping everywhere until the top. At the top (3400m) is a weather station and a meteorologist and his wife live there. We arrived there so exhausted and late that we took their offer to sleep in an extra container next to their house. They shared their food with us and we gave them 100 TJS after staying 2 nights with them. The road condition on the southern side of the pass is generally better with more then 40% of it having enough asphalt for two wheels remaining.

WARNING: We seriously underestimated how challenging it would be: road condition & sustained steepness. Also we were not acclimatised to high altitude yet. When reaching the top my body was exhausted way over several different limits and I got chills, fever, diarrhoea, headache, cramps, muscle cramps, joint paint, etc and was basically knocked out 36 hours, barely able to walk the 25 meters to the outhouse.

WARNING 2: Also the meteorologist said he had seen two bears just a week earlier and that there are also wolves around. His tip was if you see bears, don't move, they will likely ignore you. Wolves usually do not attack during the day. We did not see either of them, but advise not to camp much higher than the highest villages (except the weather station or next to shepherds).

Nonetheless, it was a great experience. The views are absolutely stunning, just make sure to take your time! If you can, the meteorologist will be very happy if you can bring some cigarettes and more importantly, he needs a headlamp (with internal battery, best charged via the old micro usb cable) and would happily give you some of his little and very hard earned money for it (Ours are with batteries, not good for him).
4 x