4 cyclists killed in Tajikistan

All about Tajikistan. Expert: Pamirski, Christian77
bwv812
China expert
China expert

Re: 4 cyclists killed in Tajikistan

Postby bwv812 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:10 am

Lovetheworld wrote:Anyway I think there is no real base for terrorism. Just some guys who joined IS over the internet and planned an attack, now they're dead.

I think there is real potential for terrorism, just that this sort of home-grown terrorism is not what was expected. For a number of years there have been real fears that insurgents from Afghanistan (and to a lesser extent returnees from Syria) would push across the border into Tajikistan and stage attacks there. (And no, these worries have not just been voiced by the Tajik government, which always uses terrorism as a convenient excuse to crack down on internal dissent, but from international organizations.)
0 x
My 2012 overland trip from Tokyo to Istanbul: https://silkroadwanderings.blogspot.com

panse

Postby panse » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:17 am

we will fly to Dushanbe on August 12th. Is there an essy way to take a taxi (we have 3 bikes) to Khalaikumb or further?
0 x

Jealgu

Postby Jealgu » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:49 am

I am planning to visit tajikistan in september. I am not really worried (unfortunately my mother is, as this incident is all over on the Dutch news). I just read Steven's article and see the points he makes. I wouldnt blink an eye taking a flight from Zaventem. I also see his point the pamirs being less likely to breed terrorism. Though, this remark made me wonder about the area north of Dushanbe. Lets say Penjikent, 7 lakes, zeravshan and up to Khujand. How does this area compare to Danghara region in this respect (I am mostly asking because of curiosity).
0 x

dessenior

Postby dessenior » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:56 pm

It's misrepresentation to suggest that terrorist attacks in London, Paris, Brussels, etc, mean those cities are no safer than touring in TJ, as Pamirski says, in a city of 8 million like London the odds of getting caught in such an attack are vanishingly small. But when there are maybe a few hundred people touring a foreign region like Danghara, targeting a group of 4+ is significant. As a tourist you will stand out like a sore thumb, and we need to accept there is more danger than before - not only is the pressure cooker driving jihadism still there but Islamist fighters have been returning from wars in Syria and Iraq. Not all of those are dangerous, but for sure some will be, well versed in techniques of war and looking for targets to vent their resentment: http://www.atimes.com/prevent-looming-n ... tral-asia/

Should that stop us travelling? In this I agree with Steven's editorial, no, it shouldn't. Not only does this play into the hands of the jihadis who would love to drive a wedge between the ordinary Tajik people and the "west" and deprive them of much needed income, but it would deprive us of the chance to visit this incredible country.

The UK Foreign Office gives good advice on safety and security, worth reading not only for UK citizens, and it's worth noting they don't recommend against travel to the country or to its remote regions, but rather to be cautious and take sensible precautions, something I would certainly echo: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/tajikistan
1 x

jill

Postby jill » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:03 pm

Dear Steven

I read your excellent post on Tajikistan.
For some reason I can no longer find it.
Please could you post a link to it?

Kind wishes
Jill Back
0 x

pikdonker

Postby pikdonker » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:16 pm

Do you mean this one: https://caravanistan.com/letter-from-the-silk-road/danghara-attack/ ? (Excellent article btw)
1 x

irn

Postby irn » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:47 pm

I want to stress that this has been an incident in Tajikistan, comparable what has happened in Stockholm and New York. It can happen anywhere. If you do not want to take any risk, then also avoid (European) airports and large metropolitan areas.

Tajikistan has no history of terrorist attacks, and people are extremely hospitable. I've spent a long time doing research in Tajikistan and also cycled around in Dushanbe and in the countryside. I never felt insecure and look forward to going back early next year.
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Postby bwv812 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:16 pm

I mean, car accidents happen everywhere, too. That doesn't mean the risk of having one is the same in Sweden as it is in Tajikistan. I wouldn't let the risks put me off from traveling in Central Asia, but it's not true that the risks are the same as in Europe.
0 x
My 2012 overland trip from Tokyo to Istanbul: https://silkroadwanderings.blogspot.com

steven
Admin
Admin

Postby steven » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:23 am

Lots of good points being raised! Thanks to everyone for their contribution.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

mazeno
Driving expert
Driving expert

Postby mazeno » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:33 am

> I mean, car accidents happen everywhere, too.
it was not a car accident.
it was a terrorist attack, premeditated multiple murder.
0 x
rgds -
mazeno