Fann mountains hiking in April/May/June?

All about Tajikistan. Expert: Pamirski, Christian77
Brett0210

Fann mountains hiking in April/May/June?

Post by Brett0210 »

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone could answer a couple of questions? Me and my 8 year old son Sid are heading to the fann mountains in April. We will mostly be walking around lower level areas like haft kul, iskanderkul, alludin and if time, a look around the yagnob valley. We do a bit of walking and camping and was wondering if you could camp in lower areas in April? Our sleeping bags have a -2 Deg rating. We will stay mostly in guesthouses but just wondering wether to bring the tent and sleeping bags. Also, is it easy to get transport independently around? I.e haft kul to sardova, sardova to iskanderkul or alludin, sardova to margib. I know yurts are more common with Kyrgyz and Kazakh nomads but are there any yurt stay opportunities in Tajikistan or any other unique accomodation experiences. Be great to hear any knowledge or tips, very excited about our trip.
0 x

Julia
Kazakhstan expert
Kazakhstan expert

Re: Can someone help

Post by Julia »

Allaudin lakes are high enough.
I wouldn't go there in April. Normally hiking season starts in June there.
Guesthouse near the lake will probably be closed in April. So you'll have to be self-sufficient there.
It's cold at nights in April. I'd get warmer sleeping bag.
And remember about danger of avalanches at that time if you plan trekking. Plus it's hard to get there independently during off-season. You'll have to hire a 4wd car for yourself to get to Allaudin.
Even during the summer it takes time to get to Allaudin as it's distant and mostly organized groups of hikers go there. It's not a popular weekend getaway like Iskanderkul.

I don't have info about other destinations you mentioned.
Iskanderkul and Haft Kul are popular destinations among locals and easy to get by shared transportation during the summer. Don't know how it works in April though.

Search Pamiri houses. It's local authentic type of houses.
1 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Post by bwv812 »

Julia wrote:Search Pamiri houses. It's local authentic type of houses.
You won't get Pamiri houses (with their unique architectural details) in the Fann Mountains.
1 x

Christian77
Tajikistan expert
Tajikistan expert

Post by Christian77 »

April is absolutely not the time for hiking or camping, bit would be disastrous (hard rain, snow, guesthouses up high are shut). Creeks that are easily crossable in July and August are dangerous in early spring. Allaudin may not be a good idea.

But you could get a driver from Dushanbe to do a (very long) daytrip or a leisurely overnight to Iskanderkul. But I don't know if the guesthouse or the camp cabins are open in April (the earliest I've gone is mid-May).

Haft Kul is different, as people actually live along the lakes in decent sized villages. If you start with a driver from Panjakent you can do a day trip or stay at the guesthouse by the 4th lake ("Jumaboy's Guesthouse" to the locals, but branded as "Juniper Branches Guesthouse") and explore leisurely form there. The guy at the guesthouse is very helpful and knowledgable.

As for getting around, in the summertime there are always many enthusiastic drivers in Sarvoda who can get you anywhere, but they may not agree to drive to Allaudin in April. They will know the road conditions. Maybe... Besides that, from Haft Kul it's best to get back to Panjakent and then onwards.
1 x

RissObo

Fann Mountains end of April Trekking

Post by RissObo »

Hi all,
Does anybody know if it is safe to go trekking in the Fann mountains at the very end of April? I'm planning on going from Samarkand in Uzbekistan to Panjakent, and heading to Haft Kul/the Seven Lakes for 4 days. However, I don't know if this is commonly done or if guesthouses/trekking resources are open at this time of year. Any advice welcome, and anybody who is going to be there, let me know!

Riss
0 x

Christian77
Tajikistan expert
Tajikistan expert

Re: Fann Mountains end of April Trekking

Post by Christian77 »

You can't get through high passes at that time. And little creeks that you jump over or take off your boots and walk through are deadly and uncrossable. It really depends on your route and elevation and tolerance for rain, etc. Some of the lower trails with good bridges should be OK.
1 x

mahmet

Fann Mountains Trekking - last few days of May?

Post by mahmet »

Hello All

I know this is a frequently asked question, trekking in Fann Mountains outside summer season, and no-one can predict the weather in climate changing world!

... but can anyone give advice about trekking in Fann Mountains at the very end of May based on recent experience (the last few years)?

Is long hours of rain very likely/unlikely? What about avalanche and mudslide risk?

If it is possible but not likely to be enjoyable, any suggestions for alternative treks between Penjekent and Dushanbe for 3-4 days at end of May?

Thank you for your help!
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Fann mountains hiking in April/May/June?

Post by steven »

I recommend you get in touch with people in Tajikistan right now (Facebook, Instagram) who can tell you what kind of winter it is - I know lots of snow came in Kazakhstan, not sure about Fann mountains.

From https://caravanistan.com/tajikistan/nor ... nd-weather

June? Depends on how the winter was. If there was a lot of snow, the passes could still be blocked with a meter of snow, river levels would still be high as well, and nighttime promises to be cold. If there wasn’t a lot of snow in winter, June would be a bit colder than summer, but otherwise fine.

Climate change has made spring rains (snows) heavier, so there are more years now where the snow last well into June. Also, in combination with deforestation, heavy rain leads to avalanches, rock fall and mud flows. That’s another risk of early departure: blocked roads.

Other 3-4 day hikes in Yagnob valley are also crossing high passes so it's the same problem.
1 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

beduinka

Re: Fann mountains hiking in April/May/June?

Post by beduinka »

Anyone having experience from Fann mountains from the last days? I'm thinking of going there for the lake loop next week (I'm an expat living in Tajikistan so do not need to travel afar).
0 x