Direct Flights From Central Asia to Turkmenistan: Turkmenistan Airlines

All about Turkmenistan
Eda

Direct Flights From Central Asia to Turkmenistan: Turkmenistan Airlines

Postby Eda » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:21 pm

Hello All,

After scouring the web for days, I came across a direct flight from Almaty to Ashgabat on the website Alternative Airways. The price is $100 cheaper than the tickets quoted to me by a Turkmenistan travel agency. Since I can book online and pay in USD, I would certainly like to do this to secure the fare and my flight. My question is that this is SO ideal, I am concerned it’s even permissible. I haven’t read of people doing this (forums state that TA doesn’t allow online bookings, etc.), and I think it’s quite serendipitous I’ve found this ticket online with Turkmenistan Airlines at the exact the time I want to travel.

Assuming I will have a tourist visa and will be met by a guide at the airport in Ashgabat, I was wondering if there are any concerns with booking my inbound flight on my own this way. Will it somehow be invalid since I purchased it on my own in the US?

Second question is, should I go ahead and purchase despite not having an LOI and tourist visa yet? I’m okay with losing the $270 if I get denied — I would rather secure the flight since it’s only twice a week and will probably fill up fast.

I appreciate any insights into this. Thank you!
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Re: Direct Flights From Central Asia to Turkmenistan: Turkmenistan Airlines

Postby bwv812 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:15 am

You should be fine so long as you have the LoI in hand, as the IATA rules indicate that that's all you need (i.e., you won't be denied boarding for not having a visa).

https://www.emirates.com/ca/english/bef ... 8a778956db
1 x
My 2012 overland trip from Tokyo to Istanbul: https://silkroadwanderings.blogspot.com