Q&A: Door to Hell

All about Turkmenistan
steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Door to Hell from Dashoguz

Post by steven »

All tips, info and reports are summarized in our Door to Hell article.

Your questions and reports are welcome below.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

lnhzd

Q&A: Door to Hell

Post by lnhzd »

Hi guys,

We will be entering Turkmenistan via Dashoguz and heading toward the south. Obviously we'd like to stop by Darvaza and to stay overnight next to the door to hell. We've done some homework and have found the following options:

Option 1) contact tour operator to pre-arrange transport and tent - tried a few they seem to be less keen on transport/camping only as opposed to the whole tour package, the response rate is fairly low.any local tour operators in Köneürgench?

Option 2) to make our own way to Dashoguz, then try to find a Jeep/motorbike offered by the owner of the tea house everyone talks about. the most recent story I've heard about was 70 dollars waiting for 1.5 hours only, which doesn't suit us well.

3) I've also heard of people hiring a Jeep from Darvaza and staying overnight in the Jeep in the desert, we are most interested in this option but is it still feasible? it was 30-50 dollars 2 years ago but where can we find the contact to arrange this?

Any comments on the options above would be appreciated.
Also if we don't go for option 1 we'll have to hitch a ride to Ashgabat, how easy is it to fit in 2 people in a truck?

Thanks!
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Post by bwv812 »

Solid info here:
http://sunriseodyssey.com/darvasa-gas-c ... rkmenistan

I included this link as part of my suggested 5-day transit itinerary:
http://silkroadwanderings.blogspot.com/ ... eview.html
0 x

lnhzd

Post by lnhzd »

hi bwv812, thanks a lot for your reply. Yep I have no problems hiking for 7 km, but the concern is hiking for 7km on sand in August when temperature could potentially reach 40 degrees....anyone has tried it summer?
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Post by bwv812 »

Well, I think the idea is to do what they did and hike out in the middle of the night and come back in the early morning when it won't be so hot. I've walked similar distances in mid-August in Turpan, Xinjiang (basically the hottest & lowest spot in China) and it was fine even in the middle of the day. I personally wouldn't be too worried—just take plenty of water and a hat. But by the time you get there, you'll probably have a pretty good idea from your time in Khiva and Uzbekistan if it's doable or not.
0 x

lnhzd

Post by lnhzd »

thanks bwv812!
0 x

rodarpelmon

Post by rodarpelmon »

Hi, you can also wait at crossroad for a lift to Door to Hell, or walk 1 km to the train station, there are a couple of 4x4 just waiting for tourist... or asking people for "jeep" and they contact to some driver. We arranged a pick up at 8 pm and back at 9.30, just for night pictures. We sleept at the train station parking, in our campervan, a very quite place also for bikers or backpackers with tent.

Salut!
Sergi
1 x

bigbeka

Post by bigbeka »

Hi there all,

I would be interested to camp overnight at the darvaza too.

@inhzd Did you do what you were planning last year?
What is the outcome and anything to take note of?

Cheers,
Beck
0 x

bigbeka

Post by bigbeka »

Thanks Steven, appreciate our reply.
0 x

adventurism

Post by adventurism »

I had my own transport, but observed the process extensively. The train station is only about 1km from the start of the trail. From around 4/5pm the cars start to wait at the side of the road where the trail starts to the crater. You can arrange a ride there. I think the rate is around $50 per ride in a 4x4 or $10 on the back of a motorcycle. There are two small yurt style huts where you can stay during the night (150m from the crater). Arrange a pick up time with the driver who took you and pay him only when he brought you back to the road.
2 x
Overland motorcycle trip from Amsterdam to Bali.

Follow the adventure on:
YouTube &
Instagram