Turkmenistan: Change of Exit Border?

All about Turkmenistan
Spinal

Turkmenistan: Change of Exit Border?

Post by Spinal »

Has anyone tried leaving Turkmenistan from a border other than the one stated on their transit visa?

If so, what was the outcome? Did they manage? Any "fines"?
0 x

Spinal

Re: Turkmenistan: Change of Exit Border?

Post by Spinal »

Also, there seems to be a bridge north of Turkmenabat - has anyone tried crossing on that bridge? Would be interesting to see if that's an alternative to the main $42 bridge toll...
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Hi Spinal,

you will need to pay a fine or talk your way out of one, or possibly get deported (the cheapest way, if not the most hassle-free). Dunno about that bridge...all info welcome.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Post by bwv812 »

I tried to change my exit border at the appropriate ministry in Ashgabat, but it wasn't officially possible to get my visa changed, and I didn't want to try my luck at the border (especially since I wanted to exit to a different country). I doubt you would have much success trying to bribe your way out (as I had considered before arriving), since the Turkmen system is surprisingly high tech, with everyone's details scanned at the border. I've heard of people being deported, but that was for arriving at their designated border crossing after it closed; not sure they would deport you from an undesignated border—maybe if you both overstayed and showed up to the wrong border.
0 x

sylvb74

Post by sylvb74 »

We complet form at Teheran, 2 weeks after we received a reference number to receive visa in Mashhad (Iran). In Mashhad, we had to refill the form and we get visa in 1 hour.
There is no mention about road, enter city or exit city on our 5 days transit visas.
3 x
Do it.

patuszak

Post by patuszak »

sylvb74 wrote:We complet form at Teheran, 2 weeks after we received a reference number to receive visa in Mashhad (Iran). In Mashhad, we had to refill the form and we get visa in 1 hour.
There is no mention about road, enter city or exit city on our 5 days transit visas.
WOW :shock: Could you please share more information about what your visa application looked like? Did you mention anything about your planned road there? Thanks a lot!
0 x
Trip 2019 on a motorbike: from Poland to Kazakhstan through: Bulgaria, Romania, Croatia, Montenegro, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia, Macedonia, Kosovo, Albania, Slovenia, Turkey, Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Iran, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan

sylvb74

Post by sylvb74 »

Hi,
We mention we are in campervan we plan to make trip from Bajgirand to Noukous.
We explain we are family with kids and like silk road and discovering wonderful countries.
We made it twice, first at Teheran meeting directly ambassador then in Mashhad.
They gave us this transit visa.
3 x
Do it.

Albin

Post by Albin »

Wow. Sounds cool. I feel more confident to apply now and hope to give a positive feedback after crossing Turkmenistan successfully.
0 x
instagram.com/albin_ontheroad

SHappe

Post by SHappe »

We got a transit visa for five days from the embassy in Tehran (and picked it up in Mashhad). We had to specify which borders we were going to use, and where we were going to stay, but none of that was actually recorded.

Outside the embassy in Tehran (and on our visa), it specifies the borders that you can cross as a tourist on a transit visa. It says: Howdan, Farap, Sarahs, Dashoguz.
1 x

elsacados

Post by elsacados »

I got my transit visa for the border near Noukous but actually entered through the one near Bukhara and wasn't bothered at all.
0 x