which border should I choose to get to UZ

All about Turkmenistan
garyloam

which border should I choose to get to UZ

Post by garyloam »

I am planning to travel to UZ from Turkmenistan, and visit Khiva, Bukhara, Smarkand.

Which border do you suggest to cross, in terms of convenience and transportation?

p.s. In Turkmenistan, I will plan to visit door to hell (the main point) and merv ( if time is available)

border:
1. dashoguz - urgench
(seem hard to find transport from door to hell to dashoguz and I have to stay in Teahouse overnight?)

OR

2. farab - alat (bukhara)

After day trip door to hell then i can spend 1 night in Mary before crossing the border.
from Mary to border, is it possible to make it on the same day?

Thank you for your advice.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: which border should I choose to get to UZ

Post by steven »

Farap-Alat for you. Get a taxi to door to hell and back from Ashgabat, then go to Merv. Mary to Bukhara can be done in one day.
1 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

garyloam

Post by garyloam »

steven wrote:Farap-Alat for you. Get a taxi to door to hell and back from Ashgabat, then go to Merv. Mary to Bukhara can be done in one day.
Thanks steven

1 more question:
After border crossing, Samarkand or Khiva should be my 2nd place ? (Tashkent must be my final destination)

Enter Bukhara --> Samarkand --> Khiva --> Tashkent (leave) ?
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Post by bwv812 »

If you're doing Khiva, I would exit at Dashogus. You can take the night from Ashgabat to Mary/Bayramaly and back. Not much sleep, but it's efficient. Then visit Dashogus (people have done it by train), and hopefully add in a stop at Konye Urgench as well if you do it by vehicle.
0 x

garyloam

Post by garyloam »

bwv812 wrote:If you're doing Khiva, I would exit at Dashogus. You can take the night from Ashgabat to Mary/Bayramaly and back. Not much sleep, but it's efficient. Then visit Dashogus (people have done it by train), and hopefully add in a stop at Konye Urgench as well if you do it by vehicle.
Thanks for advice

But i will visit door to hell
if I choose dashoguz, it seems hard to find transport from door to hell to dashoguz and I have to stay in Teahouse overnight?
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Post by bwv812 »

If you check the reports there are people who have taken the train, and many stay at the crater.
0 x