Will visa work in Turkmenistan ATM's?

All about Turkmenistan
ConorC

Will visa work in Turkmenistan ATM's?

Post by ConorC »

I am currently travelling through iran towards turkmenistan! My cash situation is slightly limited. If I cross into turkmenistan is it possible to get cash from atms there with visa?

Thanks
0 x

Bakhtiyark

Re: Will visa work in Turkmenistan ATM's?

Post by Bakhtiyark »

It's possible, however I STRONGLY recommend NOT TO USE ATMs as Manats will be converted at a official rate which is 3,5TMN -1 USD, while black market rate is 17 - 19 for a buck. Instead i'd recommend buying dollars in Iran and changing it in bazaars or ask a receptionist in TM to do it for you (for a small tip). Euros are faaaar less common and hence not as accepted.
But also please note that some locals complained about lack of Manats in the ATMs during paydays, it's suspected that this is a deliberate strategy to reduce cash withdrawal and encourage cashless transactions. Take it with a grain of salt since I can't confirm this myself as I've never used ATMs in Turkmenistan.
Last edited by Bakhtiyark on Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
1 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Post by bwv812 »

This is quite dated, but when I was there I was able to go to a bank and get a USD cash advance from my Visa card. This avoids the exchange-rate problem. I imagine there are still banks that can do this for you, but it won't be your average bank.

According to French consular services, there are a couple of banks that can do this: Vnechecomombank for Visa, and Senagat for Mastercard.

https://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/fr/conse ... omplements
3 x

ConorC

Post by ConorC »

Much appreciated for replying! I have found a way to get cash in Iran so I think I will take what I need to cover turkmenistan crossing! 👍

Thanks again.
0 x